Reports to: Associate Director of Design
Compensation: Unpaid internship. School credit available upon request.
Who We Are
The Handel and Haydn Society has been performing Baroque and Classical era music for 205 consecutive seasons (the most of any performing arts organization in the United States). The H+H staff are hard-working, welcoming, and are eager to advance our mission of inspiring the intellect, touching the heart, elevating the soul, and connecting all of us with our shared humanity through transformative experiences with Baroque and Classical music. The Handel and Haydn Society is committed to diversity in the workplace by maintaining a staff that represents the traditions and voices of contemporary Boston.
Who You Are
You are a self-motivated, organized creative who has an impeccable eye for detail and an unstoppable work ethic. You adapt easily to shifting priorities and enjoy contributing as part of a team. You enjoy creating out-of-the-box solutions to roadblocks, both internal and external.
What You’ll Do
You’ll work with the Associate Director of Design to help create the visual aspects of the H+H brand, including advertisements, brochures, newsletters, and forms. You’ll assist in editing and organizing our growing library of photo and video content. If you’re interested, you could work with our Marketing Manager on email marketing and social media campaigns. You’ll also learn the administrative side of design through day-to-day operations and special projects, including coordinating the seasonal program book ad trade program with other arts organizations.
We offer flexible hours (between Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm) and ask for a commitment of between 8 and 20 hours per week. As we are a performing ensemble, your assistance during concerts and special events will be required.
*Please note that during the COVID-19 pandemic, this internship is offered on a fully-remote basis.
Skills You Have:
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- Experience with Premiere Pro is a plus!
- Google Drive Apps (Docs, Sheets, and Slides) and Microsoft Office
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Desire to learn more about design, working collaboratively with a team, and arts nonprofits
Skills Want to Learn or Improve:
- Using email marketing software (preferably MailChimp and/or WordFly)
- Working with social media (using software like HootSuite)
- Writing and editing skills, especially through a marketing lens
1. Complete an application here.
2. Submit a cover letter and résumé (including a link to your design portfolio) via email, with the subject line “Graphic Design Intern”, to firstname.lastname@example.org.