The Frances Loeb Library is part of the dynamic and energizing environment of the Graduate School of Design. The GSD offers an exciting setting for interaction and the exchange of ideas through the combination of disciplines—architecture, landscape architecture, and urban planning and design—together with the research of our studio-based as well as MDes and Doctoral programs. We are seeking an energetic and forward-thinking individual work as part of a team to support research, teaching, and learning at the GSD.
Reporting to the Librarian/Assistant Dean for Information Resources, the Administrative Coordinator provides office management, administrative support, and support for library collections and Academic Writing Services for the Assistant Dean and the Frances Loeb Library. Responsibilities fall under the areas of general administrative, finance, library functions, and project management support related to library initiatives.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provides administrative and organizational support to the Assistant Dean of Information Services, performing a wide range of multifaceted and confidential administrative duties
- Maintain the Assistant Dean’s daily calendar, scheduling numerous complex meetings and handles meeting arrangements including scheduling, planning logistics, and reserving rooms. May attend meetings and take internal meeting notes for Assistant Dean.
- Maintain confidentiality of individuals the Assistant Dean meets with.
- Demonstrate a high level of sensitivity to the variety of constituents who contact and work with the Assistant Dean.
- Coordinate group meetings within the library and take minutes.
- Sort daily mail deliveries, ensuring that mail is routed to the right individuals and offices in Harvard Library.
· Order supplies and maintains inventory of supplies for the Library and Computer Resources Group
· Oversee CCure access and uses the system to manage security of library space
Data, reporting, and Library communication
· Serve as the central gathering point for Library statistics.
· Generate, compile, create, and edit a wide variety of library related documents, reports, correspondence, web content, social media, and information using InDesign and other tools in a visually attractive/insightful manner to meet and support the information and communication needs of the library.
· Act as central point of maintenance for the Library website and social media platforms. Work with Library staff and with GSD Communications on review, revision, and refreshing of website content.
· Mails documents related to collections.
· Serves as point person for:
o documents for collections returning to the Harvard Depository
o gift reviews for processing
o requests Harvard Library transport bin
o monitors bin transfers
o Sending materials of all types to donors – letters, books.
o Arranging for retrieval of new archival collections coming to the GSD, including email correspondence with donors, library staff, working with donors on the paperwork, arranging for shipping/transportation of collections. Requires a very high level of confidentiality.
o Managing communications and paperwork for loans of materials going to other institutions for exhibitions. This includes email/phone correspondence with borrowing institution, library staff, preservation staff, ensuring the loan is properly documented through the require paperwork. Requires a very high level of confidentiality.
· Manage and support Loeb Library spaces including, but not limited to, coordinating a long-term maintenance schedule for the space, initiating replacements and repairs (i.e., managing work orders for all areas of the Library), and signage in flexible and creative ways.
· Liaise with GSD Building Services.
Policies and procedures
· Act as keeper of policies in Loeb Library. With an understanding of current practices, regularly assess for currency and organize with the Assistant Dean and Library staff a process for review, revision, and publication of policies; make recommendations and/or suggestions to increase administrative effectiveness and efficiencies, including generation and adoption of new policies and procedures.
· Document activity in this area in a thorough and easily accessible manner.
· Plan, organize, and complete logistical arrangements for a variety of events and activities for Loeb Library and the Assistant Dean.
· Serve as liaison with GSD Events for Loeb Library and other departmental requests for events in Loeb Library spaces.
Manage paperwork for student employee hires
· Prepare hire paperwork & processes within Peoplesoft, monitors FWSP ceilings, monitors/instigates Data Change Forms.
· Prepare weekly student/temporary payroll for library; serves as principal contact for student/temporary employees regarding payroll; is liaison with GSD Finance Office, GSD Human Resources and Harvard University student employment and payroll offices.
· Coordinate with CRG/FabLab staff assistant to back each other up as needed.
Budget and Finance
· Continuously monitor and track expenditures against budget
· Produce and distribute regular and ad hoc reports; serves as liaison with GSD Finance Office staff.
· Process invoices and paperwork for the Library
· Make travel arrangements for Library staff, speakers, and other guests and process reimbursements/expenditures using University systems including WebVoucher, AWS, Pcard; serves as a 2nd –tier reviewer for FLL staff Pcard reporting.
Performs other job-related duties as required.
There are no supervisory responsibilities associated with this position.
· HS Diploma required
· 3-5 years of work experience providing office management support in a user-oriented environment
· Ability to work in a multi-tasking environment
· Experience working in a digital/online environment
· Experience working with faculty necessary
· Excellent written communication skills are required
· Ability to handle complex and confidential information with discretion
· Some accounting/financial background required
· Competency using a variety of computer software, including word-processing, databases, spreadsheets (preferably Microsoft Office), e-mail
· Experience with graphics programs (e.g., InDesign, PhotoShop)
· College degree or equivalent education and relevant experience required
· Experience with project management a plus
· Experience with Harvard administrative data systems a plus
· Library support experience highly desirable
· Experience working with outside vendors for events
· Ability to use and/or learn library-specific software applications a plus
· Flexibility and adaptability required
· Ability to prioritize work in an environment with multiple and conflicting interests
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
· Proactive approach to problem solving
· Excellent interpersonal skills, positive attitude
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work involves frequent use of keyboard and mouse.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is mainly performed in an office/library setting
The Harvard Graduate School of Design is passionate about fostering a diverse, inclusive, respectful, and professional work environment. Applicants of all race, ability, gender expression and identity, sexuality, religion, education, class, national origin, and diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Until our return to campus and full operational status, which is still to-be-determined, this interview process and position will take place in a modified manner – including virtual interviews, remote onboarding, and remote work.
In order to be considered for this role, a cover letter is required. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States now and in the future. We regret that we cannot sponsor a work visa.
Please apply online at the Harvard Careers website. Upload a cover letter and resume to: hr.harvard.edu/search-jobs and keyword search to requisition # 53780BR.