The goal of the internship is to provide one student with the opportunity to gain practical skills on strategic communications and apply knowledge gained in classroom to a real-life, professional environment. The intern will be exposed to a wide variety of everyday communications and marketing functions related to humanitarian efforts and contribute to content development and dissemination of all HHI education and research activities. The intern will work on all HHI communications materials (newsletter, social media, videos, podcasts, annual report, website, etc.) and participate in HHI team meetings. Learnings from the internship experience will prepare students for a future communications position and allow them to prepare a digital portfolio on HHI communications deliverables.
The intern will work closely and interact on a daily basis with HHI faculty and staff, partners at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health’s Department of Global Health and Population (GHP, where HHI is based) and Brigham and Women’s Hospital Department of Emergency Medicine (BWH, an integral collaborator), and HHI international collaborators. The intern will jointly report to the Education and Operations Manager and the Media Production Specialist. At the end of the internship, the student will be expected to submit a digital portfolio summarizing all deliverables produced during the internship.
Internship activities will include the following:
- Conduct market research and analyze data to identify communications structure and outputs at similar humanitarian programs, relevant NGOs, other Harvard Inter-Faculty Initiatives, and other universities
- Conduct analysis of HHI communications and marketing capacity, identify gaps, and suggest creative solutions
- Perform SWOT analysis for HHI communications
- Write copy for and design email marketing campaigns
- Solicit content and posts, and queue them for distribution
- Respond to and process internal requests for promotion of HHI materials (reports, announcements, etc.)
- Develop metrics for communications activities
- Draft materials to facilitate the development of marketing and communication plan and strategy
- Identify strategic funding opportunities to support HHI’s communications activities
- Create templates with boilerplate materials with persuasive content
- Contribute to streamlining of branding guidelines
- Outline steps in internal creative process
- Participate in all communications activities and team meetings throughout HHI
- Assist in promotion of events (workshops, conferences, lectures, courses, etc.)
- Offer actionable recommendations for all HHI communications platforms and activities
NOTE: Unpaid for-credit internship or practicum. Student must receive credit at their University for this internship as part of their formal degree requirements.