POSITION: Proposal Writer
Location: Lowell, MA
We are looking to hire a talented full-time Proposal Writer to own the proposal creation process. In this position, you will develop detailed proposal and presentation content in response to both private and public-sector requests for proposal (RFPs), requests for information (RFIs) and other solicitations as necessary. You will develop and maintain a style-guide driven set of proposal templates and oversee production and shipping where required.
HBSS offers a comprehensive employment benefits package, including medical, dental, paid vacation, tuition reimbursement, and more.
As a member of the Business Development Team, the Proposal Writer role will be cross-functional. Responsibilities will include writing, editing, researching, and supporting knowledge management activities. Excellent customer service and communication skills are a must.
The primary activities include:
- Past Performance research, writing, and serving as a project lead for large proposals. Past Performance research requires creativity and problem-solving skills; journalistic perseverance; and warm and charismatic communication skills. A background in business development either with Federal contracting or commercial bids is a plus.
- Creating, maintaining and improving a style-guide driven set of proposal templates; editing proposals for grammar, typos, and readability. Performing compliance checks against RFP requirements.
- Have excellent time management skills and be able to translate highly complex, technical concepts into language that is easily understood by a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to communicate with a wide variety of roles, from technical SMEs to Senior Management Executives.
- This person develops proposal by assembling information including project nature, objectives/outcomes/deliverables, implementation, methods, timetable, staffing, budget, standards of performance, and evaluation; writing, revising, and editing drafts including executive summaries, conclusions, and organization credentials.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; maintaining personal networks.
Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or similar & a minimum 2 years of experience in Federal proposal development or technical writing efforts within the IT sector.
- Must have the ability to articulate complex concepts verbally and in writing to produce compliant, compelling and competitive past performance and corporate capability sections.
- Solid knowledge of developing proposals in response to Federal Request for Proposals (RFPs), Request for Quotations (RFQs), Requests for Information (RFI) etc.; Federal Transport Contracting Experience a plus.
- Must be able to understand technical concepts and convey to intended audience.
- Must be able to effectively and simultaneously manage multiple, high volume efforts, while delivering value added and cost-effective proposals/solutions to the requestor.
- Superior oral and written communication skills; excellent grammar, writing, and proofreading skills with attention to detail and be process oriented.
- Solid organization skills, detail orientation, and ability to prioritize; Ability to deliver client-ready materials under strict deadline.
- Must be able to work with teams and individuals of varying working styles.
- Must be proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Share Point, PowerPoint) and Adobe Acrobat.
- Self-starter that can work independently and exercise judgment on a regular basis with minimal oversight along with a “can do” attitude with willingness to take a “hands on” approach.