The positive support specialist has the responsibility to be a role model and provide positive support assistance to people and their direct support staff, in a variety of locations.
- To provide assistance with the primary health, personal care and physical care needed and to follow through with Individuals Nursing Care Plans as written. This includes lifting and transferring individuals that use wheelchairs and providing assistance as needed.
- Pass Medication Administration Course and to administer medications to residents in accordance with the Medication Policy of Heritage Christian Services.
- To carry out individuals Residential Habilitation Plan Services and Individualized Service Plan according to staff training procedures, and to be responsible for all prescribed record keeping routines and needed documentation.
- To perform housekeeping tasks as needed. These may include meal preparation, house cleaning, laundry, shopping and other housekeeping tasks necessary to ensure the smooth running of the home.
- To attend all scheduled training required by Heritage Christian Services. To participate in in-service sessions and other staff training sessions, implementing new procedures and employing SCIP techniques as necessary.
- To be familiar with fire and emergency procedures and to assist with fire drills and related documentation.
- Assure the safe transportation of residents to and from recreation activities and other necessary appointments using home or agency vehicle. To assist in proper up-keep of the home/agency vehicle.
- Assist the individuals with building meaningful relationships/friendships within their community.
- To attend monthly staff meetings and to contribute toward effectiveness of both the Individual Service Plan and the general residence program.
- To provide a consistent, aggressive program based on Individualization, Integration, Independence and Productivity (3IP’s) for each individual.
- Responsible for supporting people through challenging times, including implementing various support plans (behavior supports plans, behavior guidelines, and monitoring plans.)
- Provide staff with support and constructive feedback and onsite education, as needed, about their implementation of various support plans.
- Provide direct observations while on shift to assist behavior intervention specialist in behavior support plan development, implementation, and modification.
- Document positive behavior and any challenges in Therap.
- Provide support and modeling to direct support staff on how to write thorough behavior progress notes.