Job Description: Knowledge Management Intern
Housing Partnership Network (HPN) is an award-winning business collaborative of 100 of the nation’s leading affordable housing and community development nonprofits. Though we are a member driven network at our core, HPN is not a typical trade organization. We’re inventors, doers, and social entrepreneurs.
HPN facilitates peer-to-peer learning and promotes policy and practice that is based on the proven experience of some of the nation’s most successful nonprofits. Through our unique networked approach, organizations and leaders accelerate and scale innovation to more rapidly respond to changing market challenges and opportunities. Together, we have created and operate a family of social enterprises that strengthen the business performance and social impact of our members.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND EQUITY
HPN is committed to creating a diverse and equitable environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. HPN recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status and other protected status. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We aspire to build a diverse team, one that better reflects the people and communities we serve. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
HPN is seeking an intern for to serve as a member of our Knowledge Management team. If you are passionate about helping mission-based professionals make better business decisions through data, this role will be a great fit. Key areas of work include:
The intern will develop a solid understanding of Salesforce – how it’s used by HPN and what data is housed there – so that they can answer questions and provide guidance to colleagues relating to basic Salesforce skills and use. This includes answering one-off questions, as well as creating documentation/best practices guides where there is a broader need for information.
The KM intern will assist HPN with ensuring that the data we need in Salesforce is as complete and accurate as possible. This will mean creating data validation reports and following up with colleagues, and at times members, when missing or erroneous data is identified. As part of this process, the intern will research and input publically available missing data.
The intern will also assist colleagues with creating Salesforce reports and dashboards. This will involve listening to colleagues’ needs and translating that into a report to create greater accessibility to the information required for data-driven decision-making.
Other Data Collection, Validation, and Cleansing
Beyond what is already in Salesforce, HPN has a small subset of historical data that will need to be processed, validated, and cleansed so that we can expand our base of easily available data for analysis. There is also a role to play in improving our member data collection process and form (currently through Form Assembly). The intern will assist with the rebuilding or modification of the current data collection form.
Business Intelligence and Data Analysis
We rely on a business intelligence (BI) tool, called HPN’s “Knowledge Center (KC),” built on Microsoft’s Power BI. Similar to Salesforce work, the intern will become an internal resource for staff on basic KC skills and use. This means getting to truly know the data we have, so you can assist colleagues with finding what they need and share interesting tips/tricks. Where there is interest and/or experience, there is an opportunity for the intern to help design mock-ups of new visuals/reports or to do deeper analysis of the data housed in the system.
- Collaborative workstyle, excelling at relationship-building and communicating effectively with all levels of staff and members.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and maintain clean, actionable data.
- Ability to lead your own projects and exercise independent judgment once given direction.
- Strong attention to detail resulting in thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing tasks.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and synthesize business needs/requirements and translate that into documented processes, reports, and dashboards.
- Experience working for or volunteering with an affordable housing organization, or an interest in learning more about the affordable housing industry.
- Comfort with, and ability to thrive, in a remote work environment.
- Preferred experience with the following:
- 1-2 years of professional experience in data collection, entry, and cleansing (can be internship experience)
- Experience designing clean, user-friendly, and actionable reports and/or dashboards
- Experience with HPN’s current systems/tools: Salesforce, Power BI
This is a temporary, full-time position based out of HPN’s Boston office. HPN’s offices are currently closed due to COVID but may reopen during the term of this internship. This role reports to the Director of Knowledge Management.