Hughes & Company is a private equity investment firm with a singular focus on healthcare software and technology enabled services companies in North America. We are a team of seasoned healthcare technology executives and investors who partner with, build, and grow companies that lower healthcare costs and improve care quality.
In recent years, shifting demographics, rising costs, and a global pandemic have emphasized the need for our healthcare system to invest in technology. We track the rising number of companies that address these challenges, using technology to address inefficiencies across the spectrum of healthcare. Over the past decade, we have built a database of a significant portion of the companies in this universe.
To make this data actionable, we are looking for an intern who can help us refine, restructure, and categorize the database. We access the data via our CRM (“Customer Relationship Management”) tool, which is an easy to use web application. The candidate for this role will mostly work within this platform, and utilize our proprietary market maps to manage the database. We will use the insights from your work to refine our understanding of the market and identify companies for investment.
- Coursework or experience in health informatics, healthcare data analysis, healthcare information systems, hospital administration, health administration, public health, or relevant field
- Strong understanding of the US healthcare system and relevant terminology; role of providers, payers, patients, and pharmaceuticals
- Sufficient knowledge of technology and software to understand the product offerings of technology companies
- Understanding of recent healthcare initiatives such as value-based case, population health management, interoperability, CARES Act is a big plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
This role will help the candidate develop an understanding of the key inefficiencies of our healthcare system, and the technology solutions available to address them. The candidate will also be able to join several weekly investment meetings, meet all the team members, and learn how to think about investments. This is a great opportunity for those who are looking to get a better understanding of the healthcare ecosystem in the US, and those who have a passion for private equity, venture capital investing and entrepreneurship.