The Human Rights First Communications Department is seeking an intern to join our team. The Communications Intern will have the opportunity to learn about the breadth of Human Rights First’s policy and advocacy work, and how the communications department supports this work through branding, public relations, and communications strategy.
The intern will have diverse responsibilities across the department with opportunities to work in media relations, digital content creation, writing, website development, and video production. This internship is a great opportunity for a creative and motivated individual to gain hands-on experience shaping and executing Human Rights First’s communications strategy.
A computer and internet connection are required for this position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Research and track press mentions and relevant media coverage
- Compile and update contact lists of journalists and media targets
- Develop creative digital and social media content
- Prepare written materials, including press materials, blogs, email communications, petitions, messaging documents, and factsheets
- Conduct research for various communications projects
- Assist with video shoots and transcribe video interviews, as needed
- Update the Human Rights First website
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights issues
- Demonstrated interest in the communications field
- Excellent multitasking capabilities and attention to detail
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups in a remote environment
- Tech-savvy, with experience in social media, web editing, and/or press strategy preferred
- Area of study in communications, journalism, international relations, political science, public policy, or a related field, preferred
REQUIRED EDUCATION: Currently enrolled in, or recently graduated from, an accredited undergraduate or graduate university.
START DATE: June 2nd, 2021.
TIME COMMITMENT: 20 hours per week.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: March 12th, 2021.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Interested candidates should apply at https://www.humanrightsfirst.org/careers. Resume, cover letter, & writing sample of 1-2 pages. (Additionally, sample social media posts are not necessary but encouraged)
Only selected applicants will be contacted for phone interviews. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
Human Rights First provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.