The Legal Intern will assist staff members in conducting screenings, intake interviews, intake write-ups, legal research, drafting supporting affidavits and declarations for clients and potential asylum clients; All done remotely using video conference technologies whenever needed. Interns will gain the opportunity to work directly with clients to prepare cases.
- Asist staff members in conducting screenings and intake interviews with potential clients and drafting detailed interview-based reports with extensive country conditions documentation and legal analysis;
- Complete immigration forms for Human Rights First’s direct representation clients, including family reunification petitions and green card applications when needed;
- Provide interpretation services on an occasional basis if fully fluent in a relevant second language
Required Skills & Experience
- Interest and experience in asylum, immigration issues and human rights generally
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent research abilities
- Fluency in a second language, especially Spanish, French, and Arabic, preferred
- Ability to handle several tasks at once while working independently or as a member of a team
- Law Student (JD or LLM)
- Minimum of 15 hours per week
Only selected applicants will be contacted for interviews. No PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
Human Rights First is committed to recruiting, retaining, and developing staff from a diversity of backgrounds, including members of racial and ethnic minorities, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, people of all socioeconomic backgrounds, people of all nationalities, and veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. We believe that a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment that welcomes a range of perspectives help make our advocacy work stronger and more effective.