VFAI Legislative Communications Intern – Washington, DC (remote)
Call for Applications
Veterans for American Ideals is a coalition of veterans and allies who continue their service to America by upholding, defending, and advocating for human rights at home and abroad. Currently, our advocacy focus includes: asylum protection, misuse of the military, defending democracy, and combating hate. A project of Human Rights First, VFAI is heavily involved in human rights and immigration advocacy in the United States.
The VFAI Legislative Communications Intern will track legislative priorities at the national and state level which VFAI are engaged on. Specifically, these priorities revolve around police reform, asylum protection, and democracy protections. Interns will gain valuable experience on understanding and navigating the legislative process, as well as the opportunity to participate in data and statistical analysis of legislation and legislators. Interns will then learn how to synthesize that information in a way that the broader public can understand and act upon. A computer and internet connection are required for this position
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Facilitating grassroots communications/outreach including:
- Assist in crafting regular membership communications
- Identify current events that are relevant to VFAI priorities
- Analyze data relating to relevant legislative priorities and targets
- Assist program manager in creating legislative report cards on members of congress
- Assist with managing VFAI’s social media presence
- Participate in coalition meetings
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A strong interest in human rights, including national security and refugee & asylum protection
- Basic understanding of data analysis and statistical modeling
- Basic understanding of the legislative process at the federal level
- Experience in writing communications to an audience
- Experience on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Basic experience in opinion blogging platforms like Medium, Tumblr, Blogger, or WordPress
EDUCATION: Undergraduate or graduate student.
START DATE: June 2nd, 2021.
TIME COMMITMENT: 10-15 hours per week. Internship will run until May 14th, 2021.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: March 12th, 2021.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Interested candidates should apply online. Please include resume, a cover letter and two references, all in PDF format.
Only selected applicants will be contacted for phone interviews. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE
Human Rights First provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.