Join Hunger Free America in creating a people’s movement to end hunger and push for the economic and public policies needed to eliminate domestic hunger and ensure that all Americans have sufficient access to nutritious food. Working directly with the Advocacy, Policy, and Research Department, volunteers will play a crucial role in researching, communicating, and promoting HFA’s policy positions. The activities for this volunteer role depend on current legislative priorities which is ideal for someone who is flexible and wants to take initiative to accomplish our goals.
**This is a virtual role which can be flexible to your schedule**
Volunteers will be assigned to one project with either a research or advocacy focus:
- The Advocacy Team works on expanding our organizing efforts and legislative priorities and pushing for improvements in safety net programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Women, Infant, and Children (WIC) program, and school meals. These roles involve public speaking and outreach to lobby state and federal officials. Our Advocacy Team is ideal for someone who is flexible and dedicated to ending hunger in the United States of America, and we also seek to identify volunteers with leadership potential and provide trainings in the necessary skills for effective project management.
- The Research Team monitors and seeks to add research on effective improvements for safety net programs – like a boost to SNAP benefit levels, universal school meals, and online access for the application and management of social programs – by publishing evidence of policy changes that reduce poverty, hunger, and homelessness. Our research projects vary based on current legislative priorities, and involve data collection and writing to build on existing research.
To see the current projects, please view the complete position listing on Hunger Volunteer.
All volunteers will be added to our Hunger Advocates’ Listserv to keep up to date.
We generally ask volunteers to dedicate 5 hours each week. We hope that you can join for at least a 3 month period.
If possible, we hope that volunteers will join our weekly team meeting on Mondays at 3pm EST. If you are not able to attend, this is not a barrier to participation.
- An Associate’s Degree or 1-2 years related work experience in social work, education, public health, public administration, nutrition, public policy.
- Knowledge of federal nutrition programs like SNAP, WIC, and/or the NYC School System
- Willingness/experience working with non-profit organizations and government agencies
- Excellent writing, communication, research, and analysis skills.
- Strong interpersonal, collaborative, and relationship-building skills.
- Positive, self-starter attitude; ability to take initiative, think creatively, and work independently.
- Commitment to Hunger Free America’s mission to end hunger in the United States.
The Advocacy, Policy, and Research staff support Hunger Volunteers by providing background and materials on our previous body of research and technical instruction for any task assigned. You will be added to a community of passionate Hunger Advocates that will organize opportunities for emotional support and collaborative brainstorming.
To get involved, you must send a basic resume describing work experience and relevant interests to our Strategic Volunteerism team at email@example.com. We will then set up a chat to learn more about which team and project would most suit you.
View the complete position listing here.
Questions? Please contact our Strategic Volunteerism team at firstname.lastname@example.org.