Sr. Data Analyst, Energy Markets
Temp Remote – candidate will need to relocate to Washington, DC area, est. Q3 (post-COVID). Company is preparing move to DC metro region.
Post-Docs seeking Fellowships are also welcomed to apply.
Our Company is a US national developer of large-scale solar and storage power plants. We are the US subsidiary of a major global solar IPP, with a fast-moving and dedicated team of development professionals. To date, our pipeline includes close to 1 GWp of solar PPAs and a development pipeline of over 1.5 GW. Recently, our team initiated the development of over 3 additional GWs of solar and storage projects, mainly across MISO, PJM, SPP and WECC.
This is a high profile role perfect for an individual who loves combining data analytics with fundamental energy market research. We seek ‘forward-leaning’ candidates that are not afraid to perform deep quant and qualitative research, interpret complex data and engage in predictive analytics, all of which will inform our investment strategy. You will bring your knowledge of IOU and ISO operations and power market fundamentals to bear on your analysis. In addition, you will be a central part of the Company’s investment decisions, specifically as it pertains to seeding new projects, portfolio structuring and entering new markets across the US.
Position & Impact
You will proactively help shape the analytics and business development approach of the Company. You will be part of a core team in the Power Marketing & Analytics division, supporting analysis related to the Company’s investment and commercial strategies. It is important to note that this is an applied analytics role – the work you do will not be theoretical but seed real investments throughout the US. Candidates should already have proven knowledge of the workings of US power markets, IOU and ISOs, in particular, an applied understanding of utility planning documents (e.g. IRPs, dockets, etc.), ability to understand and model scenarios related to load and LMP forecast models, transmission analysis, incorporate FERC/NERC/ISO issues into market models.
Ideally, you will have at least 2 years of experience with an IOU, G&T Coop or ISO, but we also look favorably on those with experience performing similar work with a large IPP, trading shop or power market consulting and investment firms.
- Assist in shaping the Company’s economic and regulatory research and analysis; perform fundamental analysis on rate design, marginal pricing, load forecasting, forward prices, REC pricing and near-term closures of nuclear and fossil-fuel power plants; use advanced data analysis to mine for information and create a picture of where renewable opportunities may arise.
- Assist in building and maintaining a markets database/model to filter, rank and keep track of offtakers with the most active renewable energy procurement programs; provide consistent research into regulatory mechanisms and rate initiatives and brief relevant teams on market trends. Periodically update the assumptions, market data and transmission developments feeding the markets database.
- Working with external providers and databases, support the development of periodic internal investment research and market trends reports.
- Assist the development, technical and finance units in analyzing non-traditional PPAs, such as VPPAs, structured products, capacity pricing and proxy-gen structures; assist finance with pricing support and enhancing financial models to incorporate new and/or creative revenue structures.
- Proactively apply your research and analysis and support marketing the Company’s portfolio of projects to new offtakers; in collaboration with key business development leads, represent the Company at offtaker meetings.
- Assist in RFP analysis, price modeling and submissions; perform relevant research to enhance the competitiveness of the Company’s proposals.
- Provide custom research and analytical support to Group Directors on items related to: new market research, rate mechanism/design, general market pricing, modeling/maintaining project dashboards and creating/updating investment presentations.
- Liaise with industry entities, including FERC, SEIA working groups and G&T and power agency associations; around new renewable initiatives and brief key Company personnel on market developments.
We offer flexible health, 401k, PTO and other benefits such as flex work, training and not to be missed, fun corporate retreats!
If you are interested, please send your resume highlighting your knowledge and experience in the key areas noted above. We are seeking an individual to join our team within the next 45 days for this role.