Locations: Boston, Springfield, Worcester, Brockton, Taunton
ICF is seeking field data collectors to administer the Massachusetts Youth Health Survey (YHS) and Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) in selected schools across the state. The Massachusetts YHS and YRBS document the prevalence of priority health risk behaviors among students in grades 6-12 via web or paper-and-pencil surveys administered to students in schools during the school day. These surveys are conducted jointly by the Massachusetts Departments of Public Health and Elementary and Secondary Education.
Training for the 2021 Massachusetts YHS/YRBS field data collection staff will occur in late September at ICF’s Cambridge, MA office. Data collection will immediately follow training for approximately ten weeks. Weeks of field data collection assignments may be non-consecutive.
If you have an interest in the health behavior of adolescents and can commit yourself full-time to this temporary position, we invite you to apply!
If hired, you will work in various locations around Massachusetts. To the extent possible, field data collection assignments will be made geographically in order to minimize travel; however, minimal overnight travel may be necessary.
This position is NOT recommended for post-secondary students enrolled in fall semester courses that require weekly class attendance.
- Receive field data collection assignments via the Internet
- Conduct advance calls to schools to confirm distribution of parent permission forms and other survey arrangements
- Travel among schools to administer a web or paper and pencil survey to 2-8 classes per school
- Act as on-site liaison with school personnel
- Coordinate scheduling for makeup surveys and follow-up on non-responding classes and students
- Perform quality control on the information collected and package data and/or materials for return to the survey processing center
- Complete required web-based documentation for each visited classroom on the same day of your visit
- Maintain detailed logs and progress reports, communicating directly with your supervisor on a daily basis when you are in the field.
- College graduate. Ideal for retired teachers, school administrators, and current graduate/thesis students able to work full-time with no travel restrictions
- Experience working with children, particularly in high school settings
- Experience speaking in front of large groups
- Experience in field data collection, survey/social science research, sales, or marketing
- Computer skills, including navigating the Internet, using web applications, emailing and attaching files, and reasonable typing speed
- Able to lift, carry, and transport up to 30 lbs. of data collection materials between classrooms and schools.
- Extremely well-organized, with a strong eye for detail
- Capable of motivating others to cooperate
- Ability to adhere to strict time schedules and arrive on time and prepared for all appointments
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Have a cell phone for use in the field
- Have reliable internet access and device for receiving and sending information
- High degree of self-confidence and the ability to deal with difficult situations in a calm/professional manner
- Have a valid driver’s license and an insured vehicle in good condition that you do not share with others
- Ability and willingness to travel by yourself
- Travel requirements will require you to purchase hotel stays which will be reimbursed by the Company.
- Ability to read aloud in a clear speaking voice in front of a large group
PAYMENT FOR TRAINING & DATA COLLECTION WORK:
Assuming successful completion of the two-day of training during the week of September 27, 2021 and acceptable performance during training, you will receive pay for 16 hours. During fielding, you may expect to be paid your base hourly rate for 12 hours for one school, 24 hours for 2 schools, and 40 hours for 3 or more schools scheduled and surveyed in a given week (Monday-Friday). For travel by rail, bus or rideshare/public transportation, the actual cost of fare will be reimbursed. When using your personal vehicle, you will be reimbursed for mileage at a rate of .56 cents per mile plus tolls and parking.
Your pay includes compensation for your time to do the following: (1) make advance calls to schools before the date of data collection; (2) organize survey materials by classroom before going to the school; (3) travel to and from the school; (4) meet with the school contact and teacher(s), and survey students; (5) review and prepare materials after survey administration; (6) update the project’s online data collection management system with school and class information daily while in the field; (7) return data collected/materials to the designated ICF office on a weekly basis; (8) follow up with schools about the completion of makeup surveys, missing classes and/or forms; and (9) maintain regular communication with your supervisor and other project staff as requested.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.We can only solve the world’s toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.