As a Research Associate within Illumina’s Oncology Business Unit, you will work as part of multi-disciplinary Product Development team to support sample preparation in the generation of sequencing based assays for clinical oncology applications. In this role you will primarily be responsible for preparing and testing samples to support assay development and optimization.
- Plan and execute various laboratory activities with limited instruction
- Perform experiments, keep detailed lab notebook, perform data analysis, write reports and present results and updates for manager and teams as needed
- Produce and test complex reagents
- Hands on development of sample preparation kits including working with bioinformatics on data analysis and interpretation
- Communicate results and conclusions to aid in team decision making in a fast paced research environment using a product development process
- Contribute to ongoing development activities, including various aspects of planning, feasibility, operation, and transfer
- Manage goals and duties within defined target timeframes
- Bachelor’s degree in biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, genomics or related field.
- 0 – 5 years’ experience in development of molecular biology and/or biochemical applications including DNA based techniques, with emphasis on RNA based techniques
- Product development experience, including assay optimization, reagent development, integration and testing, transfer to production and documentation
- Hands-on experience with next generation sequencing technologies (NGS)
- Ability to think and work independently as well as in a multidisciplinary team environment
- Analytical, detail oriented, organized, efficient, problem solver with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must have a desire to be part of a fast-paced and dynamic development environment
- Must be fluent in use of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Hands on experience with HiSeq, NextSeq or MiSeq operation strongy preferred
- Experience with Illumina’s sample prep methods strongly preferred
- Knowledge of NGS secondary analysis techniques desirable
- Hands on experience with FFPE tissues
- Training or experience in the field of oncology including DNA and RNA variants desirable
- Clinical experience such as: IVD product development, Laboratory Developed Tests (LDT), and/or Companion Diagnostics (CDx) desirable
All listed requirements are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.