InterAction is the largest U.S. based coalition of international nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) with 180+ members working around the world in low- and middle-income countries, fragile and post-conflict states, and emerging/growth economies. Member organizations are large and small, secular and faith-based, with a focus on people living in the world’s most poor and vulnerable places. The U.S. public, foundations, and governments support the work of our member NGOs that collectively invest and manage more than $15.4 billion a year. InterAction revenues come from dues, government grants, private foundation and corporate grants, and a fee-for-service program portfolio. Using its collective voice and convening power, InterAction seeks to shape important policy decisions and actions across a wide range of issues – including foreign assistance, humanitarian relief, development, economic equity, food security, and climate change – that advance human dignity, human potential, and self-determination.
To learn more about InterAction’s mission, DEI approach, values and more visit the link below:
About the Position
The Program Associate for Humanitarian Practice supports InterAction’s Country Response Working Groups and the HPP-Practice team through communications with members, facilitating and/or taking notes for working group meeting, supporting country response collective advocacy initiatives, as well as supporting Practice staff, working group co-chairs and members develop policy and programmatic briefing documents, conduct research and data analysis, and produce other relevant outputs and outcomes that contribute to InterAction country working group and other HPP-Practice country response operational priorities.
This position resides within InterAction’s Humanitarian Practice Team within the Humanitarian Policy and Practice Department, reports to the Program Manager for Humanitarian Practice, and collaborates with InterAction staff across the Humanitarian; Global Development, Policy and Learning; Membership and Communications; and Finance; as well as with InterAction country working group members.
This is a full-time position based in Washington DC. Due to COVID-19, all staff are currently working remotely and following InterAction’s COVID-19 policies. InterAction aims to have staff transition back to the Washington, DC office in mid-fall. Telework options and hybrid schedules will be available.
· Under the direction of the Program Manager for Practice, facilitate the work of select InterAction Humanitarian Working Groups and lead on specific work streams and activities, including facilitation of InterAction Working Groups and Member Check-ins as relevant.
· Ensure effective support to regular and ad-hoc thematic and context-specific working groups: organize annual work planning cycles and regular meetings; prepare materials such as policy and programmatic briefing documents, situation updates and formal correspondence in support of working group activities; craft agendas; , maintain participant lists, and track and disseminate action points.
· Proactively identify opportunities for Humanitarian Working group learning and engagement on humanitarian priorities.
· Ensure the timely and efficient flow of information in support of InterAction members and working groups.
· Under the direction of the Program Manager for Practice, liaise with external counterparts in the US government, UN agencies and other NGO consortia regarding HPPT and its work, and to facilitate inter-agency liaison, coordination and collaboration.
· Organize events, such as workshops, roundtable discussions, and other events and meetings in close collaboration with other HPP staff and members domestically and internationally.
· Ensure timely support to InterAction NGO member staff, including responding to member inquiries regarding InterAction’s working groups, key issues and contexts of concern.
· Maintain up-to-date HPP email lists for relevant thematic issues and countries. Write, edit, vet, and disseminate email communications for the lists from the HPPC email accounts.
· Assist and support all members of HPP Team, including the Vice President, on an as-needed basis.
· Provide grant proposal and report writing support, as requested, with order, clarity, style, and consistent terminology
· Be an active member of InterAction’s HPP team and promote collaboration with other InterAction teams.
· Provide guidance and mentorship on InterAction systems and procedures to new HPPT staff; including the engagement trackers and other monitoring and evaluation tools.
· Provide logistical and research support for humanitarian practice team field missions.
· Complete administrative tasks related to liaising with the finance and administrative team.
· Engage with InterAction Intern Working Group to ensure coordination across teams related to intern programming, and be actively involved in InterAction-wide intern career development programming and resources.
· Perform other reasonably related duties as assigned.
· Ability to proactively and independently follow through on tasks and responsibilities in detail-oriented manner with limited supervision
· Superior interpersonal and relationship-building skills
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Ability to interact with others in a professional manner and with colleagues of varied work styles
· Excellent planning, organizational and administrative skills
· Ability to prioritize, multi-task and manage time effectively, even under pressure and tight deadlines
· Ability to coordinate multiple stakeholders around consensus-driven, common agenda/platforms
· Interest in deepening knowledge and experience in humanitarian policy and practice
Qualifications and Skills:
· Bachelor’s Degree in related field or several years of college plus equivalent work experience
· Experience working as part of a team, and facilitating cross team collaboration
· Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office software
· Strong commitment to InterAction mission and values
Highly Valued Qualifications:
· Graduate Degree in related field or illustrated relevant experience
· Knowledge of international issues, particularly those related to the field of humanitarian response in armed conflict and natural disaster
· Experience and interest in advocacy and communications strategy development and implementation
InterAction provides competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
Expected Start Date:
Program Manager, Humanitarian Policy Team
There are no extraordinary physical requirements for the performance of the essential functions of this position. InterAction will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform in the role.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.