One year long paid internship at the IAEA sponsored by the IAEA Programs office at Argonne National Laboratory. Go to https://international.anl.gov/careers.html#interns for details.
Included with this internship:
- Round trip airfare to Vienna
- Monthly stipend (USD$1200)
- One time allowance
- Cost-free medical insurance (if needed)
Position ID: NE202101-P0
Position and Grade: Internship – Energy System Modelling and Analysis
Organizational Unit: Planning and Economic Studies (PESS) Section Division of Energy Planning and Nuclear Information and Knowledge Department of Nuclear Energy
Duty Station: Vienna, Austria Duration of Appointment/Start: 1 year, September 2021
The main purpose of the internship is to support the development of a newly initiated activity on energy system modelling and analysis. It involves the development and test of a model called FRAMES (FRAmework for Modelling Electricity Systems) which performs capacity expansion/unit commitment based on Mixed Integer Linear Programming, and its application to studies for the Agency. The underlying objective is to characterise the role of nuclear energy in achieving net-zero emission targets, and the complementarity of nuclear power with renewable sources.
Tasks / Key Results Expected
- Review relevant literature on topics relevant to this work.
- Develop and test, under the supervision of the IAEA Technical Officer, the FRAMES model for power system analysis, including the application to other energy services, such as process heat, hydrogen, or desalination.
- Perform calculations and participate in Agency analysis on the role of nuclear in low carbon energy systems
- Document the methodology developments and contribute to drafting reports.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in energy system modelling, simulation, and analysis.
- Ability to develop in C, Python, Julia/JuMP and other programming languages.
- Ability to conduct independent research using different data sources.
- Demonstrated interest in work, being efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- In-depth knowledge on the operations of a power system and/or familiarity with linear or mixed-integer linear programming is an asset.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Climate/Environment Sciences, Economics, Modelling, Programming, or a related field.
- Candidates must be a minimum of 20 years of age and have completed at least three years of full-time studies at a university or equivalent institution towards the completion of a first degree.
- Candidates may apply up to one year after the completion of a bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate degree.
- Candidates must not have previously participated in the IAEA’s internship programme.
- Excellent written and spoken English essential; fluency in any other IAEA official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian) an asset.
- Candidates must attach two signed letters of recommendation to their application.
How to Apply
Step 1: Visit the IAEA TALEO Page to login or create new user account. Under “My Jobpage”, click “Access My Profile.” Be sure to complete all 9 steps of the general profile, which includes uploading the following attachments (cover letter, resume, and 2 reference letters written on official letterhead and signed by the recommender). Click “Submit.” You will receive a confirmation e-mail from the IAEA if successfully submitted.
NOTE: If necessary, the IAEA will accept the reference letters up to one week after the application deadline.
Step 2: Combine the following completed documents into one PDF file in 1-3 order, the Position ID listed at the top of each page.
- Internship Checklist
- Cover letter
Step 3: Please upload this one PDF file to IAEA Programs at Argonne via https://international.anl.gov/IAEA-Careers.html. In file description, please include the Position ID.