The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a Media Engagement Intern to provide crucial support in communicating innovative research on development issues.
IFPRI is a non-profit, apolitical research organization providing evidence-based policy solutions to sustainably reduce poverty, hunger, and malnutrition, and improve welfare across the developing world. The successful candidate will help the media team spotlight and disseminate our best and most salient work through our social media channels, our blog, and our relationships with external news media outlets so that insightful research can inform meaningful policy changes towards realizing our vision of a world free from hunger and poverty.
To achieve these goals, the intern will: draft dynamic content for our website and blog based on our most relevant research and events; generate ideas and content for social media campaigns across various social media platforms; identify journalists across the globe for IFPRI to engage with; regularly track and report on our media presence; and analyze web data to assess the success of specific strategies and campaigns. Excellent writing and analytical skills are a must, as well as an ability to translate academic content for a general audience.
This is an excellent opportunity for anyone interested in learning more about international development, social policy, or how ideas and research can stimulate change. The internship will provide the successful candidate with invaluable insight into the strategic communications of a large nonprofit organization working across the globe, as well as with opportunities to create original content for global audiences.
- Draft engaging blog posts based on IFPRI seminars and research articles
- Use Meltwater online tools to track media mentions of IFPRI
- Craft social media content for dissemination through our social media channels
- Create weekly report of IFPRI media mention highlights
- Perform data analysis using Meltwater and Google Analytics
- Update IFPRI press page with press releases, announcements, and major mentions in the media
- Monitor news cycles for opportunities to place IFPRI work into the media
- Other duties as assigned
- The intern must be enrolled in a full time undergraduate or graduate program at an accredited university, or have graduated from such a program in the past 12 months
- The intern must have permission to work in the United States
- Excellent writing and an ability to create succinct summaries of news reports and research publications
- Exceptional organization skills
- Ability to work under minimal supervision as part of a dynamic team
- Experience in journalism or working with journalists is a plus
- International experience in the developing world is a plus