About the International Foundation for Election Systems (IFES): IFES advances democracy for a better future. We collaborate with civil society, public institutions and the private sector to build resilient democracies that deliver for everyone. As the global leader in the promotion and protection of democracy, our technical assistance and applied research develops trusted electoral bodies capable of conducting credible elections; effective and accountable governing institutions; civic and political processes in which all people can safely and equally participate; and innovative ways in which technology and data can positively serve elections and democracy. Since1987, IFES has worked in more than 145 countries, from developing to mature democracies.
The greatest assets of IFES are our team members. IFES offers competitive benefits and pay, as well as the opportunity to work in a dynamic and collaborative environment. Every member of the IFES team is responsible for carrying out the mission of IFES and integrating IFES values into their work every day: Commitment to Excellence, Effective Communication, High Quality Decision-Making, Accountability, Teamwork and Collaboration.
PRIMARY FUNCTION/PURPOSE: Ensures the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating, and entering transactions.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Sets up new vendor profile in the Cost Point accounting system.
- Verifies entries and documentation, identifies discrepancies, and resolves issues with transactions submitted in the web-based payment processing Accounts Payables Workflow (APW) system.
- Imports information from APW system to Cost Point accounting system and compiles supporting documentation for payments
- Records Local Currency Adjustments in Cost Point accounting system.
- Helps in reconciling IFES Travel and Employee Credit Card transactions.
- Handles requests of various organizational units.
- Follows up with the bank regarding returned EFT transactions.
- Assists with annual preparation, filing of Form 1099-NEC and 1099-MISC.
- Provides audit support by compiling documents related to audit selections and by providing information as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
POSITION SCOPE: Provides financial support functions and performs moderately complex job duties requiring familiarity with contract compliance and financial controls. Coordinates work activities with internal and external partners.
DECISION MAKING/PROBLEM SOLVING: Identifies problems affecting achievement of goals, requiring research into internal and external factors. Analyzes and interprets issues and proposes alternative solutions relying on knowledge of professional standards and accounting principles. Consults with necessary stakeholders to develop or introduce new and improved methods or procedures.
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY: Follows implemented procedures for accounts payable and cash receipts functions under supervision. Performs regular tracking, analysis and reporting of financial data. Processes ACH, wire transfer and check disbursements. Processes, records, verifies, reconciles and prepares reports of transactions, requiring access to controlled systems.
RELATIONSHIPS: Maintains collaborative working relationship with team members and other staff, both within the headquarters and field offices. Initiates contact with staff in other departments to exchange detailed, substantive information and coordinate activities necessary to achieve work goals. Builds and maintains relationships with internal and external partners, auditors etc. Requires interpersonal skills involving active listening, creativity and problem solving to assure desired outcomes.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, Finance, or related field desirable.
Experience: 1 year of Finance, Accounting or related work experience.
Related Skills or Knowledge:
- Understanding of record keeping and accounting principles
- Proven ability to calculate, post and manage accounting figures and financial records
- Data entry skills along with an aptitude for numbers and fact-checking
- Hands-on experience with spreadsheets and accounting software
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
- Customer service orientation and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High degree of accuracy, attention to detail, organized and deadline oriented
- Strong team building skills
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Fluency in English required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Monthly Benefit Allowance paid directly to all employees
- Employer paid life and AD&D insurance at 3x base salary
- 401(k) retirement plan with 1:1 employer match up to 6%
- Employer paid Short and Long-Term Disability insurance
- Generous vacation (starting at 3 weeks and increasing with time of service), sick leave, and personal leave
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
“All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
IFES is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor”