*Boston or Remote*
J. Goldman & Co., L.P. (“JGC”) is an independent investment manager founded in 1986 by Jay G. Goldman and has been in continuous operation for three decades. JGC’s investment philosophy is based upon fundamental analysis, a comprehensive understanding of the capital markets and disciplined execution on investment ideas. JGC seeks to achieve attractive risk-adjusted returns in all market conditions with low correlation and low volatility. The firm employs a rigorous process to identify, evaluate and allocate capital to the best ideas of its investment professionals. JGC is a meritocracy where teamwork is demanded, talent is rewarded and absolute integrity is required.
Our Industrials and Transportation investing team is seeking a Summer Analyst to complete a comprehensive research project involving the Transportation and Energy sectors. We are at a crossroads where emergent technologies in the energy sector will have a sea change impact on transportation and logistics. Our society will soon encounter significant changes in the way we consume and produce energy. The Analyst will try to uncover what technologies are the most relevant and commercially viable.
The Summer Analyst will:
- Research emerging and new technologies impacting global transportation and energy infrastructure (including alternative energy sources, modes, and autonomous technologies).
- Determine the real-world viability of these technologies.
- Explore emerging initiatives/companies which are or may become important innovators in these areas.
- Conduct company and industry research to develop a deep understanding of key business and industry drivers.
- Document findings through presentable notes.
- Rate each segment on viability attributes.
- Generate reports/presentations on each segment.
- Meet regularly (virtual or in-person) with the Portfolio Manager to discuss findings and progress.
- Present findings at the end of the project to the investment team.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate or Graduate student with a strong academic record from a competitive university.
- Demonstrated passion for the subject matter (financial research, transportation, clean technology, autonomous vehicles etc…)
To perform the job successfully, an individual should excel in the following areas:
- Research / Problem Solving- the individual displays strong technical, organizational and problem solving abilities. The individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully, asks intelligent questions and maintains confidentiality.
- Quality control- the individual consistently demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness, monitors work to ensure quality and possesses a strong attention to detail and a drive for results reflecting an ownership mentality.
- Dependability- the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Interpersonal skills- the individual maintains confidentiality, remains open to new ideas, effectively communicates and partners with others at the firm. The individual possesses the highest standards of integrity, honesty and mutual consideration.
- Planning/organizing- the individual possesses impressive organizational skills, prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time efficiently.
- Written communication- the individual demonstrates superior writing/drafting skills, presents information clearly and concisely, and is able to read and interpret written information with ease.