Janklow & Nesbit Associates is seeking two bright, energetic remote interns for summer 2021. Interns will be offered the chance to develop their reading and analytical writing skills, assist with general office duties, and learn about all aspects of agenting, including the submission process, client care, contracts, subsidiary rights, and more. This is a part-time, remote, paid opportunity. Candidates from underrepresented communities are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Evaluating submissions and client manuscripts
- Writing reader’s reports and editorial letters
- Drafting pitch letters
- Attending weekly lectures by agency personnel
- Curating social media posts
- Research and data entry
- General administrative duties
- Legal authorization to work in the United States
- Reliable internet connection
- Video call capability
- Laptop/Computer access
- Excellent reading and writing skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Strong organizational ability
- Eagerness to learn about the literary landscape and the industry at-large
Program Length: 10 hrs/week for 10 weeks, June 1, 2021 – August 10, 2021
Please send your resume to email@example.com, along with brief answers to the two bolded questions below and one optional question of your choice:
- What are two to three books you’ve recently enjoyed? Why?
- What do you hope to learn from this internship?
- What are the top three things you look for when you read for yourself?
- Are there other areas in publishing that you’re also interested in?
- In what ways do you engage with the literary world?
- Why do you want a job in book publishing?
Please keep your answers to one page (500 words), with one-inch margins, size 12 font.
(Please do not apply through Handshake; only applications sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org will be considered)
Application Due: Friday, April 16, 2021