Applications will be accepted until further notice. Tentative Academy Start Date: August 23, 2021
Recruiting timeline – All dates are subject to change.
Criticall testing – Online assessment – Upon successfully passing criticall you will be scheduled for an interview.
Oral Board Panel interview (Via ZOOM)
Polygraph and Suitability exams – Amich & Jenks, Brower Psychological
Post-offer Psychological exams – Brower Psychological
Backgrounds – 4-week process – Lakewood Police Department
Drug/Vision/Hearing exams – Concentra – Lakewood, CO
*Applicants that are disqualified from the process may reapply no sooner than 1 year from the date of the disqualification. Applicants dismissed for failure to pass job related skills test may reapply no sooner than 6 months from the dismissal.
Lateral applicants are strongly encouraged to apply. Lateral applicants will have a minimum of 3 years experience in emergency dispatch services (Police, Fire, or EMS). Compensation commensurate with experience. Lateral hires will be eligible for a $1500 sign-on bonus and additional $1500 upon completion of training.
Jeffcom 911 is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Pay Range: $51,000 – $70,890
Core Values: Ethics, Professionalism, Encouragement, Innovation
This position operates communications equipment to efficiently and appropriately answer emergency and non-emergency calls, enter pertinent and accurate information into the computer aided dispatch (CAD) system, provide pre-arrival instructions to callers, dispatch personnel and equipment, manage calls for service and other activity for multiple radio channels in a 24/7/365 communications center.
Essential Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
(The duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed, and are in no way construed or perceived to be exhaustive. The employee may also be required to perform additional functions and duties as assigned.)
• Receive 911, emergency, and non-emergency calls by answering calls for multiple police, fire, and other agencies in Jefferson County.
• Demonstrate knowledge of Jeffcom’s rules, policies and procedures included in Jeffcom’s Personnel Rules, Policy Manual, and Standard Operating Procedures.
• Answer, evaluate, and prioritize incoming calls and digital requests for service, communicating effectively with citizens to obtain complete and accurate information to determine urgency and need for dispatching emergency response units using a computer aided dispatch (CAD) system, telephones, multi-channel radio, TDD (text telephone device for hearing/speech impaired), and supporting software applications and systems.
• Accurately and consistently dispatch the appropriate police, medical, fire, or other emergency response resources, track the status and location of each, transmit messages and information to response units, and support requests from emergency responders.
• Provide pre-arrival emergency police, medical, and fire instructions to callers, including use of EMD and EFD protocols.
• Maintain accurate and complete logs and records of communications.
• Maintain positive and professional written and verbal communication skills at all times.
• Consistently provide excellent customer service to all citizens and emergency responders.
• Maintain confidentiality at all times for citizens, emergency responders, and employees, including Protected Health Information (“PHI”) as defined under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) in a sensitive, information-rich environment.
• Promote a positive, professional image of Jeffcom at all times.
• Participate in public education events as scheduled.
• Complete job-related training and continuing education as assigned and required.
• Reliable, predictable attendance is required. On call status may be required.
• Work in excess of ten (10) hours per day and 40 hours a week, to include days, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays to maintain 24-hour coverage of Jeffcom’ s emergency dispatch center. This requires personnel to make themselves available to work when required, particularly in times of disasters or serious emergencies.
• Mandatory overtime may be required.
• Expected to engage in ongoing education and attend training to maintain and expand skills and knowledge.
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education, Experience, License and Certification Requirements
• Possess high school diploma or equivalent.
• Possess, or obtain within six (6) months of hire, and maintain Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD), CPR, Emergency Fire Dispatcher (EFD), and National Crime Information Center (NCIC)/Colorado Crime Information Center CCIC certifications. Other certifications may be required during employment.
• Ability to understand and utilize telephone, dispatch, radio, and computer network systems.
• Ability to accurately type a minimum of forty (40) words per minute while entering data or information relayed over the phone, radio, or other audio and electronic data input into a terminal, computer system, or other device linked to Jeffcom’ s CAD system.
• Ability to operate two-way multi-channel radio system with multiple frequencies, distinguishing a variety of radio voice transmissions, and a CAD workstation consisting of a telephone system, radio, and a computer terminal with multiple monitors.
• Ability to memorize, retain, and accurately recall information and codes; multi-task, organize, prioritize and adapt to constantly changing situations, and effectively take appropriate action; perform detailed work with a high degree of accuracy, at times during stressful situations; understand various transmissions (telephone, radio, etc.) and transcribe information (numbers, letters, names and facts) from one source to another quickly and accurately.
• At all times, ability to consistently remain calm and effective, even during times of heavy workloads, exercise critical thinking, to include sound judgment and decision making, prioritize emergent and non-emergent situations, and obtain and act on information quickly and accurately.
• Ability to communicate effectively with citizens, emergency responders, and team members.
• Ability to understand and execute complex verbal and written instructions, policies and procedures.
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations for citizens, emergency responders, and other Jeffcom employees.
• Ability to obtain CCIC/NCIC certification within six months of accepting position. This includes being able to pass a background check.
• Illicit drug and marijuana use is prohibited even if medically prescribed.
• Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously while remaining detail-oriented.
• Ability to communicate with others and understand information in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
• Ability to read, write, speak, and understand the English language at a level adequate to perform the duties of the position.
Lifting and Carrying:
Ability to move 15- to 20- pound items from one location to another, such as boxes of paper, department manuals, resource books, equipment, etc.
Must be able to sit at dispatcher work station and work radio controls, telephones, and computer keyboards during a typical scheduled shift with the ability to change from sitting to standing as needed. Must be able to navigate around Communications Center. Must have the manual dexterity to operate a computer keyboard, radio system, telephone, foot pedals and other relevant equipment. Some twisting, bending, stooping may be required. Must have the ability to coordinate movements of two or more limbs at the same time, e.g., while operating telephone and/or radio and foot pedal control and typing information into console controls.
Employee must be able to hear the phone and audible signals from equipment at a level that does not interfere with coworkers’ ability to hear at their work stations. Hearing must be sufficient to use telephone and radio headset. Must have the ability to actively listen to callers for an understanding of their needs and situations. Must have the ability to understand English spoken in a variety of accents. Must have the ability to focus on multiple sources of auditory (hearing) information in the presence of other distracting noises. Must be able to detect and discriminate among sounds that vary in a broad range of pitch and loudness.
Visual acuity correctable sufficient to read computer screens and discern information, enter data, read Jeffcom documents, other correspondence, and read and interpret maps. Ability to distinguish between the colors red and green in order to properly utilize computerized equipment.
Must be able to read, remember and use policies, procedures, criminal laws and ordinances that apply to the position, as well as remember numerous details of calls received.
Must be able to speak English clearly and concisely to communicate with callers, emergency responders, and co-workers. Bi-lingual (Spanish-speaking) is also helpful.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form and to solve problems with good judgment and decision-making skills, especially in relation to emergency calls.
Work in a restricted access area, typical office environment with other staff speaking on phones and radios in a communications center. Work is often demanding in a fast-paced environment; position confinement and emergency crises may prohibit breaks and/or require employee to work unscheduled overtime. Frequent interaction with public, government jurisdictions, members of private industry, and other Jeffcom employees. Work under general supervision with supervisor availability to resolve unusual or complex work problems.
ADA Compliance Statement:
The human resources goal of Jeffcom is to select and retain the best qualified applicant for each available job. An applicant’s or employee’s disability will not remove the application from consideration or current employee from his/her job if the applicant or employee is able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation unless such accommodation will result in undue hardship for Jeffcom or pose a safety risk to the applicant, employee, or others.
Jeffcom complies with the American with Disabilities Act. If you require special accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact the Human Resources Manager.