The 2023 Summer Internship Program is for students enrolled in major fields of study that align with full-time employment opportunities at John Deere. Students may enter the program during undergraduate or graduate studies. The majority of our internship experiences are offered in the summer months, usually lasting 12 weeks. Available locations for Electrification Engineering interns include Waterloo, IA; Moline, IL; Cary, NC; and Fargo, ND.
An electrification intern supports product analysis, design, and/or testing activities for electric drive components and systems used on vehicles worldwide. Specific activities vary by position but will include one or more of the following responsibilities:
- Li-Ion battery development inclusive of design, analysis, and testing of cells, modules, battery management system (BMS) hardware, BMS software, pack level thermal and structural design, and cell aging modeling. Cary, NC based.
- Electric machine development inclusive of design, analysis, and testing of 250W – 200kW+ surface permanent magnet motors and internal permanent magnet motors, electromagnetic design, thermal design, high speed structural design, position sensing, and mechanical design. Cary, NC and Fargo, ND based.
- Power electronics hardware development inclusive of design, analysis, and testing of inverters, converters, and chargers. Topology, power stage, sensing, thermals, power passive components, and packaging. Fargo, ND based.
- Control systems for motor drives and converters inclusive of simulation, implementation, and system testing of new algorithms, control system parameters, physical system modeling, system identification, signal estimation, and advanced diagnostics/prognostics. Cary, NC and Fargo, ND based.
- Electrification system and vehicle development inclusive of design, analysis, vehicle integration, and testing of electric drive systems consisting of batteries, inverters, motors, converters, and chargers to meet vehicle performance goals. This includes requirements, system concepting, vehicle integration and interfaces, lab testing of system performance, and vehicle testing of performance. Waterloo, IA; Moline, IL; Cary, NC based.
What Skills You Need
- Excellent communication skills.
- Working knowledge and hands-on experience testing electrical components using standard lab equipment such as oscilloscopes, multimeters, and power supplies.
- Familiarity with a symbolic programming language such as Simulink or LabView.
- Experience using modeling tools such as Matlab/Simulink or circuit analysis software.
- Experience with electric machines, inverters/converters/chargers, Li-Ion batteries, electric vehicle systems, or electric drive control systems.
- Completion of your junior year of studies is required by the time of the internship. Graduate students are preferred for advanced engineering topics.
- Strong candidates will have course work or research with a concentration in electric machines, power electronics, batteries, hybrid vehicles, or dynamics and control.
- Minimum required cumulative GPA of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale. (3.4 or higher preferred)
Willing to travel and relocate to any John Deere location in the U.S. Locations may include: • Illinois • Iowa • North Carolina • North Dakota
Work Statement: US Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
What You’ll Get
At John Deere, you are empowered to create a career that will take you to where you want to go while working in an inclusive team environment. Here, you’ll enjoy the freedom to explore new projects, the support to think outside the box and the advanced tools and technology that foster innovation and achievement. Interns receive competitive compensation and are eligible for many of the benefits offered to full-time employees, including:
- Flexible work arrangements
- Highly competitive base pay
- Savings & retirement benefits (401k and Defined Benefit Pension)
- Healthcare benefits
- Employee Assistance Programs
- Tuition assistance
- Fitness subsidies and on-site gyms at specific Deere locations
- Charitable contribution match
- Employee Purchase Plan & numerous discount programs for personal use
- Sponsored housing for onsite internships
Click here to find out more about our Total Rewards Package.