JVS IS PROJECTED TO GRADUALLY RESUME IN-PERSON SERVICES IN THE EARLY FALL. THIS INTERNSHIP MAY BEGIN AS A REMOTE POSITION WITH THE GRADUAL TRANSITION TO IN-PERSON (in the office). This is an unpaid internship.
JVS is a non-profit, non-sectarian agency. Our mission is to empower individuals from diverse communities to find employment and build careers; and to partner with employers to hire, develop and retain productive workforces.
JVS provides a broad range of services including adult education, skills training, job readiness training, job placement and support, and access to post-secondary education. JVS assists employers in their search for well-qualified job applicants and their initiatives to upgrade the skills of their incumbent workforce.
The Intern for Career Path Now (CPN) supports a team of 3 Career Navigators and 1 Program Assistant in their service to recipients of DTA benefits. CPN seeks to identify and enroll these clients into a program that will ensure that clients retain their benefits in the short term while connecting them with the education and training that will put them on a path to financial self-sufficiency.
The purpose of this position is to assist in a) maximizing the effectiveness of coaches’ time with clients by providing intake and triage support, b) coordinating new clients’ first steps with JVS, and c) widening CPN’s accessibility through client-facing outreach efforts.
- Conduct intake interviews with clients and screen for eligibility
- Build rapport and trust with clients in their first interaction with JVS
- Navigate clients to the correct program and set up next step with that program
- Assist clients with basic computer applications, online job forms, email, document uploading, utilizing cloud storage
- Conduct phone calls to potential/current clients and schedule/reschedule appointments
- Complete independent project during semester. Past projects have included: designing a tool for navigating the housing system, analyzing the labor market during COVID using a national database, and building relationships with housing providers in Boston.
- Notice possible process improvements and share with the team
- Support similar programs within the Career Path Programming Department as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Preferred, not required:
- Provide Spanish/English interpretation for coaches and clients