JVS IS PROJECTED TO GRADUALLY RESUME IN-PERSON SERVICES IN THE EARLY FALL. THIS INTERNSHIP MAY BEGIN AS A REMOTE POSITION WITH THE GRADUAL TRANSITION TO IN-PERSON (in the office). This is an unpaid internship.
JVS is a non-profit, non-sectarian agency. Our mission is to empower individuals from diverse communities to find employment and build careers; and to partner with employers to hire, develop and retain productive workforces.
JVS provides a broad range of services including adult education, skills training, job readiness training, job placement and support, and access to post-secondary education. JVS assists employers in their search for well-qualified job applicants and their initiatives to upgrade the skills of their incumbent workforce.
Refugee Services provides vocational English classes and job search services to non-native English speakers. Employment services provided in this program include job search assistance, resume and interview preparation, cultural orientation, pre-employment vocational English language classes, job placement and follow-up, and post-employment support. Career Coaches from the Refugee Services department will work closely with participants to assist them in beginning employment and advancing their careers.
Assist participants with finding gainful employment, work closely with team of Career Coaches and Instructors to support job preparation and administrative tasks toward this goal including:
- Provide participants with job-related English language training, mock interviews, cover letters, resume development, job search techniques, basic computer training, and financial literacy. Most of the client work will be one-to-one.
- Provide Zoom and general technology trainings to help clients access their English classes as well as coaching sessions.
- Conduct job searches tailored to participants’ needs.
- Complete short-term or longer-term projects assigned by coaches such as organizing client folders, creating excel spreadsheets or doing follow-up calls with clients.
- Related experience is welcome, but training will be provided.
- Interest in working with people of various linguistic, cultural, religious, ethnic and national backgrounds.
- Commitment to learning techniques for providing effective services to support job outcomes to immigrants.
- Attention to detail.
- Good communication and organizational skills.
- Flexibility—responsibilities will vary on a day-to-day basis and processes are changing often as JVS has transitioned to working remotely.
- Empathy for the challenges faced by participants of learning a new culture and a new language.
- Haitian Creole, Spanish, and/or Arabic speaking skills are a plus, but not mandatory.