We are looking for a product leader to lead our staff as the Director of Product for the Kessel Run All Domain Operations Suite (KRADOS) of applications that aims at bringing the Air Force into a world of Continuous Airpower. KRADOS is a system-of-systems of over two dozen products that are strangling out a number of decades-engrained legacy systems that our warfighters are forced to use today.
The Director of Product is one part of the balanced leadership team with Design and Engineering to provide product perspectives, prioritization, and direction around the development, communication, and execution of our strategy.
The Director of Product will have a handful of direct reports (Functional Directors, Portfolio, and Product Leads) and a product management staff of 25+ scattered across balanced product teams. You are charged with connecting across multiple product areas (portfolios), working with Product Leads to help guide team strategy, and solve higher-level strategic problems. Provide focus and support for product leads to prioritize their efforts with teams. Expert collaborator and facilitator at the portfolio and team level, focusing on providing the higher-level product strategy perspective.
The goal is to provide enough vision and support to empower the staff to execute the strategy. We aim to allow that execution to happen at the lowest level possible and look to the Director of Product to provide clarity, direction, and empowerment whenever possible and appropriate.
The Director of Product should have practical Agile and Lean product development experience as well as a wealth of pragmatic product experience, so that they can be a trusted resource for the discipline, without distracting from delivering high-quality software.
Ideally has a high degree of skill in facilitation and communication, opting for simplicity. Values and articulates the importance of focusing on outcomes over outputs from strategy to implementation.
What you will do
- You will lead and communicate the progress of OpsC2 portfolios; tieing outcomes to business strategy
- You will ensure OpsC2 development is aligned with the OpsC2 Product Line vision and strategy; representing the OpsC2 Portfolio perspective in evolving product line business strategy
- You will ensure portfolio health; finding growth and learning opportunities for your portfolios
- You will build and maintain active working relationships with the 10.1, Modeling & Simulation, KRADOS, TBMCS, and Application Transformation portfolio leads
- You will advocate for Product; collaborating with Product and Portfolio Leads to pull relevant context into higher-level strategy
- You will provide focus to ensure productivity and shared context across product portfolios in line with business strategy
- You will tackle cross-cutting concerns; fostering an environment for portfolios to contribute to a systems of systems
- You will work with the communities of practice (i.e., design, product management, and engineering) to ensure that OpsC2 is constantly growing and evolving our practice and assessing our progress
- Collaborating with the balanced team of acquisition, design, data and engineering directors; representing the product perspective to influence business strategy
- Advocate for development and implementation of the leanest approach to find efficiencies across teams
- Lead product strategy to evolve individual products into a cohesive system of system
- Delegate and assess common backlog implementation strategy in concert with organizational priorities
- Maintain an understanding of the relationships between stakeholders at all levels
Who you are
- You have experience delivering and improving products, that people love
- You have experience moving a product organization from scrappy start-up mentality to an enterprise organization leveraging both lean startup and agile software development
- You understand the Department of Defense and have experience in working with Command and Control (C2) or other related mission systems OR you have demonstrated experience quickly ramping up in a new and highly complex and political product domain
- You have experience working within and leading cross-functional teams of software engineers, designers, and product managers
- You are a strong practitioner capable of mentoring an extremely passionate and ambitious community
- You thrive in a design thinking and UCD environment, capable of easily upskilling new practitioners
- You have top-quality written and verbal communication skills (e.g., capable of public speaking, changing your messaging based on the audience, etc.)
- You are comfortable providing advice, recommendations, and guidance with incomplete information
- You excel when operating in ambiguity, but understand that others don’t
- You have strong leadership and management skills with a diverse workforce
- You practice ruthless prioritization when managing expectations of competing and sometimes conflicting needs
- You are an expert facilitator; guiding difficult conversations to productive outcomes
- You model and foster good meeting hygiene and culture
- You have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to incorporate multiple perspectives
- You are passionate about building future leaders
- You are a U.S. Citizen and have the ability to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance
This is a civilian position within the Department of Defense. We hire at GS-14 up to GS-15 equivalent levels. This means you can expect a base salary of $93,907 to $143,198 multiplied by your locality rate, based on your experience. You can find your locality definition here and see the pay tables for the GS scale here. Our headquarters is located in Boston, MA; for a Boston-based employee, this would translate to a range from $121,243 to $172,500.
We understand that there is no such thing as the ideal candidate for any job and we believe in empowering people to learn and grow throughout their careers. We encourage any applicant who is interested in making an impact in the Department of Defense to apply to this position regardless of background and qualifications.