Kessel Run is an Air Force software development organization that continuously delivers war-winning software that our Airmen love. We are striving to be a “software company” within the Air Force that can sense and respond to conflict in any domain, anytime, anywhere.
We value continuous learning, continuous user feedback, continuous integration, continuous delivery, continuous security & continuous testing. We combine lean principles, user-centered design and eXtreme Programming (XP) using a flat management, balanced team approach to ensure we are always building the most valuable thing possible, the simplest way possible, and as fast as possible.
We are offering the opportunity to work in a modern work environment, to use cutting-edge technologies and modern processes, all while making a meaningful impact every single day. Come help us solve our nation’s toughest, most complex challenges while enjoying yourself at work every day.
On a mission to bring modern cloud best practices to the Air Force, we are looking for multiple experienced Platform Engineers to lead Kessel Run’s Platform team. You’ll join a group of diverse, passionate engineers from all manner of backgrounds, responsible for the development, security, and operations of Kessel Run’s global orchestration and runtime platform. Together, we’ll revolutionize the way software is developed in the government sector, and tackle critical problems that impact everyone.
What You Will Do
- Help build, scale and manage the next generation of the Orchestration and Runtime Platform to support Kessel Run/DoD applications.
- Understand modern software development methodologies and tooling (DevSecOps, continuous integration, version control, modern build systems and dependency management, SAST/DAST)
- Ideate approaches to automation, deployment, and change management for third party systems/applications (treat operations as a development effort)
- Write robust automation for provisioning, configuration, deployment, operation of third party systems/applications.
Who You Are
- You are passionate about training the Air Force to do software development and want to see them acquire and build systems in a cost efficient and well thought out manner
- You have experience working with cloud offerings (AWS, Azure, or GCP)
- You have designed, built, and managed scalable containerized applications (Docker/Kubernetes/Helm, AWS ECS, Mesos) and have deployed applications in containerized environments.
- You have cloud infrastructure experience / familiarity with IaC (e.g., Terraform)
- You enjoy mentoring and working on a balanced team
- You have experience with TDD, continuous delivery, and automated testing
- You keep up with best practices and spread that knowledge to others
- You are familiar with SQL databases
- You can develop empathy with your users
- You can facilitate conversations between engineers and non-technical staff
- You have or can obtain SYO-501 CompTIA Sec+ certification.
- You are a U.S. citizen and are eligible to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance (see eligibility requirements here)
- Has (or able to obtain) SYO-501 CompTIA Sec+ certification.
- You feel comfortable speaking up when the wrong technical direction is being taken.
- You are a U.S. Citizen and have the ability to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance
We hire at GS-13/14 equivalent levels. This means you can expect a salary of $101,585 to $137,408 (depending on experience) for a Boston-based position (pay will be adjusted by location), as well as paid time off, health, and retirement benefits. There are advancement opportunities to promote to senior levels after hiring. We are also offering this position as a fully remote opportunity.
We understand that there is no such thing as the ideal candidate for any job and we believe in empowering people to learn and grow throughout their careers. We encourage any applicant who is interested in making an impact in the Department of Defense to apply to this position regardless of background and qualifications.