Evening Computer Science Program Designer and Facilitator
Role: Part-Time Computer Science Program Facilitator
Schedule: Eastern Time, Monday-Friday evenings. (6 hours of teaching/facilitation, 3 hours of planning, 3 hours of individual mentoring)
Compensation: $20 / hour.
Start Date: October 2021 – December 2021 (contract) with option to extend until May
Overview of Role:
Welcome. Every fall, La Colaborativa begins their year-round internship program for high school students in Chelsea to gain professional development experience and workforce readiness training. Ranging from STEM, Business/Entrepreneurship to Arts and Social Justice, each group of interns reports to their Program Facilitator, who manages their internship program.
We are currently hiring a Coding/STEM facilitator to join our team.
Facilitators will be tasked with designing curriculum, leading sessions, planning, and responsible for directly overseeing their team of ~10 interns. The program will use a hybrid model of in-person sessions and remote programming, depending on developments of COVID-19.
STEM skills training
● Program facilitators will design Computer Science and STEM curriculum and training for youth to gain relevant, in-demand hard and soft skills within a professional field that the facilitator either has experience in or is studying. Each day of the internship needs to be well organized, well-planned, and well-executed with several back-up strategies depending on the flow of the session. The Program Facilitator prepares daily activities to lead the interns and produce engaging, original content that is pre-approved by the Youth Programs Manager and documented in the weekly reports.
● Program facilitators help interns develop, execute and evaluate projects relevant to the career focus of their cohort. Deliverables are reviewed and may be uploaded to the La Colaborativa website for the future. Resource costs for project supplies will be covered by La Colaborativa.
Professional Development Training
● Program facilitators mentor and support youth interns, nurturing leadership skills and additional ‘soft’ skills such as public speaking, team building, and effective communication to foster personal and professional growth. Facilitators make sure interns are engaged, punctual, and elevate any issues impacting their performance to the rest of the Youth Development team.
Fostering a sense of community, youth leadership and social/emotional wellbeing in the youth
● We seek program facilitators that can provide a safe and engaging space for youth to connect with one another and grow as leaders. All curriculum should be developed from a youth-centered perspective and high value will be placed on cultural competency, equity and community engagement.
Additional duties as needed to support the Youth Development Administration Team
Top Candidates should demonstrate the following:
- Ability to design and facilitate 6 hours of engaging STEM projects per week, tailored to an audience of high school students with limited to zero prior experience.
- A passion for youth development
- Excellent organizational skills with an independent working style
- An ability to motivate, inspire, and relate to high schoolers
- Ability to design and implement professional curriculum teaching from the ground up
- Virtual facilitation skills, especially for quieter groups that may be experiencing “Zoom fatigue” as schools in Chelsea are also meeting remotely
- Project management abilities–especially students, this being their first professional experience
- Ability to cold email organizations to set up partnerships with leaders in the industry
Not required, but bonus points for:
- Passion for social justice causes at the grassroots level
- Experience working with youth from predominantly immigrant and minority communities
- Experience in education/teaching
- Ability to speak Spanish
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to:
email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Interested STEM Program Designer and Facilitator Candidate