Employment Type: Paid, part-time internship
Hours: 5-7 hours/week
Hourly Wage: Coaches will be paid at least the minimum hourly wage in their work location.
Number of Openings: Multiple virtual positions. Must reside in the Mid-Atlantic or New England regions.
Organization Overview: Let’s Get Ready provides high school students from historically underrepresented communities with free SAT preparation, admissions counseling and other support services needed to gain admission to and graduate from college. Services are provided by college students who also serve as role models and mentors. LGR was founded in 1998 by a Harvard undergraduate. Since then, Let’s Get Ready has served more than 25,000 high school students from historically underrepresented communities with the mentoring power of 9,000 trained volunteer college Coaches. In partnerships with colleges, high schools and community organizations, programs stretch from Maine to Pennsylvania.
Position Overview: Let’s Get Ready is hiring current college students or recent college graduates (class of 2020) who will serve as coaches to a cohort of students who delayed their postsecondary plans due to COVID-19 and are navigating the college application and decision process. Reporting to a Program Manager, a Transition Coach works remotely to provide virtual support by text, phone/video calls, and email to support students as they make postsecondary decisions. Full training and supervision provided.
Position Responsibilities & Qualifications:
Position Responsibilities: Ensure a meaningful and productive program experience for students.
- A Transition Coach is responsible for a caseload of 30 students. Tasks and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Sending weekly individualized text messages to students through LGR’s texting platform
- Conducting monthly check-in calls with students via phone/video
- Utilizing LGR’s curriculum to assist students with their applications for college and financial aid, college decision-making, and college enrollment
- Tracking communication with mentees using our data workbooks
- Attending a weekly supervision meeting (by phone/video) with a program manager to discuss progress towards goals
- Transition Coaches are responsible for attending required training, including but not limited to: virtual orientation training, monthly virtual team meetings with other coaches
- Initial training will happen virtually over Google Hangout on January 26th & January 27th, 10-12 PM.
- Be comfortable building relationships virtually via phone calls, email, text messaging, live video streams, etc.
- Have exceptional communication, time management, and problem-solving skills.
- Comfortable working independently and dependently in a virtual environment.
- Be interested in and comfortable working with students in underserved communities.
- Be a current undergraduate student (preferred), recent graduate (class of 2020), or graduate student.
- Reside in the Mid-Atlantic (Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania) or New England (Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont) regions from January 2021 through August 2021.
- Dedicated and passionate about Let’s Get Ready’s mission
- Passionate about helping students reach their goals
- Experience with data entry a plus
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Comfortable making phone calls to students you have not spoken to before
- Excellent self-motivation skills
- Former Let’s Get Ready alumni and coaches are encouraged to apply
This position runs from mid-January, 2021 through August 30, 2021, with the expectation that coaches will work through the summer.
How to Apply: Apply online at letsgetready.org/coach. Interviews will begin in January. Applications received by January 7, 2021 will receive priority.