As an Accountant at Magnetar, you will benefit from the knowledge and experience of a broader team, and work closely with a mentor/supervisor who will provide regular feedback and guidance.
The Accountant can expect a high degree of visibility into the workings of the firm, and will be expected to be an independent thinker and problem solver. The role will also regularly deal with highly confidential information and thus the Accountant will be expected to have a high level of integrity and trustworthiness.
The Accountant will support the Corporate Accounting team (responsible for the day-to-day financial management of the firm, financials and multiple audits) or the Fund Accounting team, however the role will may also involve working and assisting other teams within the business including Reporting, Investor Operations and Operations. A description of responsibilities is listed below:
- Daily preparation and analysis of desk trading position/ profit and loss and firm management reports.
- Provide weekly and monthly NAV estimates.
- Review of the monthly capital activity, profit and loss, investor returns and NAVs prepared by our fund administrators, including review and support of management fee, performance fee and related fund expenses.
- Assist with responding to Investor requests Corporate Accounting group is responsible for the day-to-day financial management of the firm, the firm financials, and multiple audits. The group is also responsible for Magnetar Capital Foundation’s financials and corresponding audit.
- Preparation of monthly and ad-hoc investor reporting snapshots, including P&L attribution, fund ratios and returns.
- Perform ad hoc special project work and analysis for reporting or information requests, system modifications or new product deployment.
- GPA of 3.4 or above
- Studying Accounting, Finance or similar field of study
- Display proactive, innovative and resourceful thinking
- Strong leadership experience
- A team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills
Magnetar Capital is a leading alternative asset manager with over $12.1 billion under management as of July 2020. We are conveniently headquartered in Evanston, Illinois – a suburb just north of Chicago – and are steps from the lakefront as well as a vibrant downtown area. We operate three additional offices across the U.S. and UK, located in New York City, London and Houston.
We seek to generate consistent performance across a variety of market conditions by identifying differentiated investment ideas that we believe can be developed into scalable businesses. We invest across three core pillars: Alternative Credit & Fixed Income, Energy & Infrastructure and Systematic Investing.
When you join Magnetar, you will work alongside a diverse group of individuals who are among the best in the business at what they do. We attract highly skilled, dedicated professionals who enjoy working across practices and executing innovative ideas. Our employees have an intense level of intellectual curiosity, a profound passion for our work and care deeply about delivering results for the firm and for each other.
Our culture is based on the core values of insight, integrity and passion. We welcome unique backgrounds and perspectives, and work hard to foster an inclusive and welcoming environment where each of our employees feels empowered to thrive.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, our employees have transitioned to remote working, as their health and safety and that of their families is our top priority. We ensure each employee has the set-up and support they need to be productive from home, and take extra care in onboarding new team members to ensure they feel connected and supported by their colleagues from day one.
We know how important a healthy lifestyle is to our employees. When open, our offices provide employees with daily catered lunches at no cost and kitchens stocked with healthy snacks. We also have an onsite gym in our Evanston office and provide subsidized gym memberships for other office locations. While working remotely, our employees can take advantage of weekly virtual programming like fitness classes, cooking classes and mental health or parenting seminars.
Magnetar employees are passionate about philanthropy and we provide plenty of ways to give back. Through our Foundation, Magnetar invests heavily in increasing access to financial education through a best-in-class curriculum we co-created called finEDge. Employees can also take advantage of organized volunteer events and our company’s charitable match program.
Our employees enjoy exploring outside of the office too. Our unlimited paid time off policy, which includes unlimited vacation and sick days, as well as a competitive parental leave policy, gives employees time to rest and recharge.
We hope you’ll consider joining us as you explore careers at Magnetar!
For further information, visit our website.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.