We are looking for a graduate level intern interested in improving Healthcare access and affordability to join the CoverME team and assist in Maine’s transition from HealthCare.gov to its own state-based health insurance Marketplace. The health policy intern will assist the CoverME team by providing recommendations and proposing initiatives based on qualitative and quantitative research on ways to meet CoverME’s goals and objectives.
This is a full-time, paid, remote internship, with flexible start and end dates (preferred length of internship is at least 90 days)
In August 2019, Governor Janet Mills signed legislation to establish a state-based healthcare exchange for Maine. This legislation was passed with the aim of increasing the rate of insurance in the State and expanding residents’ access to affordable, quality care. Implementing the resulting marketplace, CoverME, requires thoughtful coordination across a wide number of governmental, technological, and consumer stakeholders
CoverME is seeking a motivated and organized individual to work across stakeholders and state teams in support of launching a state-based marketplace that improves healthcare access and affordability for the residents of Maine. The health policy intern will work directly with the Policy and Consumer Experience Manager to develop programs and processes that aim to increase enrollment, reduce the rate of uninsured people in Maine, and provide affordable comprehensive coverage. Successful interns will have a commitment to CoverME’s mission and those of the Office for Family Independence and MaineCare, the offices which administer Maine’s Medicaid program.
In this position, you will:
· Work directly with the Policy and Consumer Experience Manager for the Office of the Health Insurance Marketplace (OHIM) to research and develop programs and processes aimed at meeting the objectives of CoverME.
· Assist with the development and implementation of consumer outreach strategies based on research to increase enrollment.
· Analyze state and federal marketplace data to support policy and operational decisions for CoverME.
· Support the development of onboarding, training, and certification materials for the broker, assister, and navigator communities.
· Perform qualitative and quantitative analysis on relevant healthcare metrics and conduct strategic problem solving with the ultimate objective of improving overall health outcomes.
· Create high level visualizations of research and analysis for leadership and external stakeholders.
· Demonstrated interest in health care policy and familiarity with the ACA, State-based Marketplace, and Medicaid/CHIP
· Proficient quantitative and analytic skills
· Experience translating policy into public products through writing or graphics work preferred
· Familiarity with U.S. health insurance infrastructure and trends in healthcare
· Experience with social statistics, research methods, and creating public writings and visualizations
To apply, please upload your resume and cover letter describing why this opportunity is of interest to you. Due to the volume of applications received, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. We are unable to respond to individual inquiries about the status of your application.
Maine Department of Health and Human Services is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. Employment decisions will be based on the principles of equal employment opportunity. Recruitment, testing, selection, and promotion will be administered without regard to race or color, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, age, ancestry or national origin, whistleblower activity, previous assertion of a claim or right under the Maine Workers’ Compensation Act, marital status, or genetic information unless a bona fide occupational qualification exists. For complete policy, see here.
Job Types: Full-time, Internship
Pay: $2,000.00 per month
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: Remote