Marstel-Day, LLC, an environmental consulting and planning firm, seeks a Mid-Level Landscape Architect to provide professional design and planning services for public and private sector projects in the United States. Projects may include mixed-use community planning and design, sustainability planning, military master planning, parks and open space planning, green infrastructure, conservation planning, and others.
The position would initially be On-Call employment (or a consulting arrangement) in support of contracts in the areas of master planning, sustainable design, landscape design, stakeholder outreach and engagement, and charrette facilitation; with the potential for transition to a full-time salaried position.
Marstel-Day is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, and women and people of color are encouraged to apply for this position.
Candidates should be in the Virginia/MD/DC area and be able to easily travel to work at the company’s principal office in Fredericksburg, VA. Work is to be performed remotely until COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, but occasional travel, including airline travel, to current and future project sites is required. As one of our current project sites is in AZ, candidates located in the Southwest (or in Arizona) will also be considered
Provide environmental and mixed-use community master planning and design services to incorporate sustainability and smart growth principles into large community planning and public sector projects. Research project site opportunities and constraints, applicable codes, and best practices. Support preparation of site analyses, concept plans, master plans, and innovative graphics. Assist in planning and design services to integrate solutions for sustainability, green infrastructure, multi-modal transportation, conservation, and environmental protection into mixed-use development projects. Demonstrate understanding of systems integration with large teams of design and engineering partners, local jurisdictions, and key stakeholders for multi-phased projects. Manage work assignments within prescribed timelines and deliverables. Support schedule coordination, task tracking, and logistics planning.
· Develop innovative concept plans, master plans, and other graphics that exhibit a strong understanding of environmental and sustainability principals.
· Apply local and state regulatory protocols and ensure compliance for planning efforts.
· Identify environmental and sustainability challenges and incorporate mitigation strategies and solutions into the planning process
· Evaluate architectural and civil designs in support of master planning and environmental sustainability goals.
· Identify and develop sustainability options to satisfy project objectives.
· Engage with clients and support effective working relationships.
· Ensure coordination and integration with all teaming partners.
· Maintain routine collaboration with the Marstel-Day Project Team.
· Perform such other duties related to site design and planning as identified by the supervisor or assistant project manager when deemed necessary.
Qualifications: Applicants must have:
· A Bachelor’s Degree in landscape architecture, environmental planning, sustainability/urban/regional planning, Geography, or similar field from an accredited university or college.
· A grade point average of at least 3.5 (on a 4-point scale) is a plus.
· Experience or a background in environmental planning, sustainability planning, and/or mixed-use community design.
· Three years of applied experience supporting landscape architecture or environmental/urban/ municipal/regional planning projects.
· Demonstrated experience with AutoCAD, GIS, SketchUp, and Adobe Creative Suite is a significant plus.
· Registration as a landscape architect or AICP is a plus.
· Experience in writing and report preparation.
· A demonstrated determination to provide excellent support to meeting client requirements.
· Intellectual curiosity paired with excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Availability for travel as required. (The Company has promulgated safety procedures, including for travel, in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic.)
· A demonstrable and strong commitment to a conservation ethic and a commitment to use green best-management practices in the performance of their work.
The incumbent must:
· be eligible to work in the U.S. (DHS Form I-9 must be completed by the incumbent and submitted to DHS for verification of citizenship and eligibility through E-Verify)
· submit to a background check as a condition of any final offer of employment (Depending on the exact nature of the work, the applicant may also be required to submit to a credit and financial background check. This required contingency and evaluation continues even after hiring.)
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is between $70,000 and $82,000 per year depending upon the incumbent’s level of education, certification/registration, experience and responsibilities. Offerors should indicate whether they seek part-time work. Full time employees receive access to a Company provided health plan and 401(k) plan; receive disability and life insurance coverage; receive holiday and personal leave accruals and other benefits. Part-time employee benefits depend upon the number of hours generally worked and are dependent upon provider policies as well.
If reading this open position announcement on our Company’s website employment page, follow the instructions provided on the employment page. If viewing this announcement on another independent employment web site, there may be additional site requirements that are necessary for submittal of an application. If reading this announcement offline or on a site that does not link to our webpage, go to https://www.marstel-day.com/marstel-day-employment/. Please follow all instructions and directions provided on the Company’s employment page. Submit a cover letter, resume, a minimum of 3 professional references, a copy of your most recent transcripts, and a brief writing sample (6-8 pages). Submittals that do not include all of the required items will not be considered complete.
Essential Functions Description:
The incumbent will indoors and outdoors. Work activities will require some site / building inspections and may require walking through difficult terrain. For certain projects, the incumbent may be tasked with preparing written communications including the use of e-mail and other electronic reproduction of words, graphs, and photos. Furthermore, the incumbent may be required to make regular use of and be proficient with computers, tablets, telephones, mobile communication devices, copy machines and printers.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Policy:
Marstel-Day provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and takes applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, military status, or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. In addition, the Company complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment and takes affirmative action to develop and promote a diverse workforce in every location in which the Company has facilities or places its employees for assignment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfers, leave of absence, compensation, and training.
Military Friendly Employer:
Marstel-Day is a certified Virginia Values Veterans (V3) employer. We respect and value the service of our veterans and their families. Marstel-Day is committed to hiring transitioning service members, veterans, and military spouses. We have a growing internal network of veterans and their family members, supported by proactive recruitment and career development.