DESE is looking for interns for the Fall, Spring, and Summer!
As a project management intern at the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education you will be responsible for coordinating the planning, implementation, and tracking of specific short-term projects, as well as significant parts of DESE’s 2019-2020 campaigns. Previous and ongoing campaigns include Teach Mass and Deeper Learning.
- Manage the Project:
- Define the scope of the project in collaboration with senior management
- Help create and update a detailed work plan on general communication and the campaign
- Determine the resources (time, money, etc.) required to complete the project
- Determine objectives and measurements to evaluate the project upon completion
- Implement and Evaluate the Project:
- Recruit, interview, and select staff and volunteers for project activities
- Coordinate project staff according to established ESE policies and practices
- Ensure that project personnel receive appropriate orientation to the project
- Identify qualified consultants to work on the project
- Monitor, evaluate, and adjust the project as necessary
- Establish a schedule to update stakeholders on the progress of the project
- Write reports on the project for management, partners, and other stakeholder
Desired skills and background:
- Pursuing a BA/BS in a related field
- Past experience with project/or campaign management
- Strong problem-solving and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Benefits of working at DESE:
- Gain hands-on experience and develop industry skills
- Learn how to work in a team and collaborate with others
- Participate in key decision-making meetings and activities that impact the entire state
- Build your resume and professional network
- Receive feedback at the end of the internship to support your career
- Enjoy flexible hours and the option to work remotely
ESE’s expectations for YOU:
- You have relevant experience and the desired skill sets
- You are an active thinker and like to share your thoughts and opinions
- You are good at time management and multitasking
- You can quickly adapt to a new work environment
- You are a self-starter and team player
- You can commit at least 10 hours a week
DESE’s employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Parking and transportation:
From the T: take the Orange Line and get off at the Malden Center stop. DESE is a 5-minute walk from the station.
Parking is available both at the CBD Garage and Jackson Garage on Jackson Street. The parking lot next to DESE is limited to 2-hour parking.