MassGeneral Hospital for Children seeks interns who wish to expand their knowledge of digital marketing in a large, complex healthcare organization.
Qualifications: Excellent writing skills; we’ll teach you the rest, but we are looking for top-notch writers.
Academic majors: English, journalism, communications, marketing, advertising, and related majors
Commitment: We do not require a minimum number of hours per week and interns may vary their time commitment here to facilitate other commitments such as school, work, etc. However, because our hope is that interns will be able to initiate, manage, and complete meaningful projects, and because it takes a while to get things done in a large healthcare organization, we ask for a minimum six-month commitment. We’re not so much concerned with the number of hours you log in a cubicle—we are interested in skill development and we want you to be able to say something meaningful on your resume when the internship is completed.
Practicum: Help prospective patients find the services they need by updating and optimizing existing web pages on www.massgeneralforchildren.org and by writing new pages. Work to get clinical services, research labs, and doctors ranked in Google and other search engines. Interns research how people use search engines to learn about health topics (we’ll teach you how) and how related health information is presented on the web. Then they interview doctors and administrators and draft articles for approval and publish on www.massgeneralforchildren.org.
- The Art of SEO, 3rd edition: “Keyword Research,” pages 155-221; “Understanding Content Marketing Basics,” pages 409-428
- Why Anchor Content Is Key to Content Marketing Success (video)
- Copycat Content: SEO Tools Got Us Here, Humans Will Get Us Out
- Others as assigned
- Demonstrate and apply keyword research and competitive analysis skills.
- Demonstrate SEO copywriting skills.
- Demonstrate web analytics skills.
- Apply professional communication and teamwork skills in working with professional clients, including hospital leaders and marketing professionals.
- Apply existing style guidelines and brand standards to a project.
- Demonstrate and apply basic HTML/CSS skills.
- Apply professional communication and teamwork skills in working with doctors and hospital administrators.
- Apply existing design guidelines, brand standards, and standardized code to a project.
About Us: With more than 300 physicians, 50 medical specialties, 15 surgical services, and compassionate preventive and primary care, MassGeneral Hospital for Children (MGHfC) is an invaluable resource for the healthcare needs of infants, children and adolescents. We have the expertise and experience—as well as the state-of-the-art facilities and technologies—to provide exceptional care for our patients. Our patients have complete access to the resources of the world-renowned Massachusetts General Hospital, including innovative research and treatments. As our patients grow, they also benefit from the smooth transition of care between pediatric and adult services at Mass General.