The Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) is accepting applications for a full-time Staff Accountant/Bookkeeper to handle MLAC’s payroll, accounts payable and other fiscal projects as assigned. MLAC is an exciting place to work with a diverse staff and inclusive workplace environment. We are located in a beautiful new office space on Tremont Street near Government Center in Boston. Due to COVID-19, this position is temporarily remote until further notice, with the requirement to work one day a week on site so invoices and mail are processed on a timely basis.
The Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) is a non-profit organization established by the Commonwealth to ensure that low-income people with critical, non-criminal legal problems have access to legal information, advice, and representation. MLAC provides leadership and support for the continued improvement of legal aid to low-income people and is the largest funding source for civil legal aid organizations in the Commonwealth.
MLAC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to diversity in its workforce. A crucial part of MLAC’s vision is supporting cultural and linguistic competence, as well as ensuring diversity of staff and volunteers, so clients can be best served. Women, individuals with disabilities, LGBTQ individuals, people of color, and people who speak English as a second language are encouraged to apply. Learn more about us at www.mlac.org.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Staff Accountant/Bookkeeper reports to the Fiscal Manager and is responsible for preparing and maintaining accurate and timely financial records through general and subsidiary ledgers and appropriate schedules and files.
· Review and oversee employees’ work hours/timesheets for timely completion for bi-weekly payroll
· Input work hours and paid time off into ADP online
· Maintain employee PTO accrual records in internal record keeping systems
· Record payroll in QuickBooks
· Distribute W-2s provided by ADP annually
· Receive and store electronically all vendor bills for weekly payment cycle
· Ensure purchasing policies are followed before issuing payments
· Enter bills into QuickBooks Online with appropriate accounts and classes
· Enter bills into online Billpay system for payment
· Communicate with vendors concerning problems and questions
· MLAC credit card:
o Gather documentation and ensure policies are followed for credit card purchases
o Reconcile credit card account monthly
· Make grant distributions via ACH as per Fiscal Manager’s requests
· Review documents related to the Fellowships program, and other grants via ACH as requested by Fiscal Manager
· Maintain vendor files and issue vendor 1099s
· Reconcile all bank accounts monthly
· Reconcile payroll deductions/withholdings for benefits with payments made at least on a quarterly basis
· Handle MLAC’s Loan Forgiveness Program
· Provide payroll and accounts payable data for grants/contracts as requested by Fiscal Manager and Grants Managers
· Prepare and enter journal entries under the direction of the Fiscal Manager
· Prepare monthly reports related to grants and programs with assistance from the Fiscal Manager
· Participate in staff meetings and all-staff trainings
BACKGROUND AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Associate degree and/or a few years of bookkeeping experience
· Proficiency in QuickBooks Online and ADP
· Strong organizational skills with an eye for accuracy and attention to detail
· Knowledge of and experience with current electronic financial accounting and management tools, including desktop computing
· Strong communication and presentation skills
· Ability to work independently and as a team member
· Ability to maintain confidentiality
· Ability to work well under pressure and have a good sense of humor
· Demonstrated ability to master new software and technologies
· Demonstrated ability to embrace a workplace culture that values diversity, equity and inclusion
Compensation is competitive, depending on experience. Excellent benefits.
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter in PDF no later than Monday, March 8, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the job title in the subject line of your email, and, in your cover letter, please mention where you saw this posting. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided upon request to individuals with disabilities. No phone calls, please.