Role: Data Engineer
Salary: $90,000 / year
Experience: 3 – 5 years
Location: Washington D.C. preferred. Remote available on a case-by-case basis
Start Date: March 1, 2020
Full Job Description
MemoryWell is looking to add an experienced data engineer to our rapidly growing team. This is the first hire on our soon-to-be growing data team which will include Data Science and ML developers. This position has the opportunity for equity ownership, growth, and will have a material impact on our company.
MemoryWell’s goal is to empower care providers to put people, rather the diagnoses, at the center of their care plan. We are a healthtech company bridging empathetic care with big data.
We are a small and fast-moving team of 8 people and looking for a data engineer to own the aggregation, structuring, and analysis of data that we gather through our products, as well as help define our overall data strategy.
This position will report directly to the CTO, and will have direct contact with the company’s engineering and operational teams.
As a Data Engineer, you will be responsible for evolving and owning all of MemoryWell’s data strategy, process and infrastructure. Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with stakeholders, product and engineering teams, and business analysts to define and document data requirements for products and services
- Work with data processing systems to efficiently intake, transform, and store massive data sets
- Build and maintain data services to provide data to analytics users and machine learning systems
- Design data models that support product and business needs
- Perform ongoing QA to verify data quality and integrity
- Respond to ad hoc requests from leadership and advisors
- Develop and oversee master data management standards in line with compliance requirements, including establishing and enforcing governance procedures and ensuring data integrity across multiple functions.
You Will Work With…
Faran Negarestan – Chief Technology Officer
Before joining MemoryWell, Faran was a senior engineer and team lead at Capital One where he helped and led development of state-of-the-art products in the retail banking domain. Prior to Capital One, Faran was a founding member of ReciproCare, a start-up in marketplace style recruitment for home care, incubated at Halcyon Incubator in Washington, DC. Even though he left that startup after several months, his passion for the start-up world remained with him. As a first generation immigrant, Faran is appreciative of the opportunity The United States has given him to pursue his dreams. He graduated with a Bachelor’s in Computer Science from the University of Maryland, Baltimore County and a Master’s in Computer Science from University of Illinois, Urbana-Champions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or related technical field
- 3+ years hands-on experience in big data analytics geared towards BI insights
- Strong analytic skills related to translating unstructured datasets into structured datasets
- Strong understanding of database structures, query languages (e.g. SQL, object and time series data stores)
- Ability to architect and design big data analytics solutions on cloud (AWS or equivalent)
- Data analysis experience using Python and/or R
- Outstanding ability to make data-driven business decisions
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Previous entrepreneurial / start-up experience a plus
- Values culture and has positive mindset and outlook
MemoryWell is putting the person in person-centered care, one life story at a time.
We’ve built a digital platform for health care providers that replaces legacy intake questionnaires with brief, professionally written stories. Using our automated process that matches writers with patients that our clients send us, we are able to capture hard-to-get and valuable patient SDOH data, improve care outcomes, and boost patient happiness. Our proprietary network of +700 professional writers interface directly with patients and their families to create a pleasant intake experience that 94% of users love.
MemoryWell grew out of the experience our Founder, Jay Newton-Small, had caregiving for her father, who had Alzheimer’s. When she moved him into a senior community, she was asked to fill out a long questionnaire about his life. This made no sense: who would remember pages of hand-written data points for 100+ residents in that community? Instead, as a longtime TIME Magazine correspondent, she wrote his story for his caregivers and pasted it on the walls throughout the community. It transformed his care. Two of his caregivers were Ethiopian and they’d had no idea Jay’s father, Graham, had lived in Ethiopia for years early on in his career with the United Nations. They became his champions, sitting for hours asking him what it was like to work with Emperor Haile Selassie.
Seeing the impact her story had on her father’s experience was enough to influence Jay to transition from her role at TIME to launch MemoryWell.
We are graduates of the most recent class of Techstars: Future of Longevity, Mass Challenge, and MIT Solve. Our story has been featured in the Washington Post, CBS Evening News and on NPR, and we are telling new stories every single day.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $90,000 per year
Equity: Available for this position
Benefits: Employer sponsored medical/dental/vision, 401k, 401k matching, paid-time off
We are currently working fully remote. This position will be required to report to our office in Washington D.C. once it is determined safe to do so. Permanent remote positions may be granted on a case-by-case basis.