About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
The mission of the Resource Development (RD) department is to advance the organization’s strategic goals and support our worldwide team by raising funds, profile and influence. Our job is to tell the Mercy Corps story to the organization’s most important audiences in a clear and compelling way. The RD team encompasses several dozen dynamic professionals who possess a wide range of expertise. We are gift officers, direct response fundraisers, web developers, marketers and media relations strategists. We are database managers, digital specialists, creative designers and storytellers. Most of all, we are passionate about Mercy Corps’ mission and believe a better world is possible.
The Social Media Associate provides community management and supports the development of content for Mercy Corps’ global social channels including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Monitor and respond to comments from organic and paid social content across platforms, flagging sensitive content to appropriate parties and filing reports with the Integrity Hotline as needed.
- Engage in social listening to monitor and analyze trending topics and relevant social conversations to gain audience insights and competitive intelligence.
CONTENT CREATION AND CHANNEL MANAGEMENT
- Support the Social Media Manager by develop compelling content to engage, cultivate and nurture Mercy Corps’ social communities by helping to
- Produce and/or edit social media content, including writing, copy editing, and designing graphics/videos using Adobe Illustrator, Premier pro, or Canva
- Schedule and post content across owned channels
CROSS TEAM SUPPORT
- Manage social media requests to support internal and external social needs (supporting advocacy initiatives, partnership obligations, and staff thought-leadership)
- Ensure social plans and assets are available in a centralized, accessible location (e.g. Global Social Google Drive) for use of internal teams, partners, European social teams, etc
STRATEGY AND PLANNING
- Support the Director of Brand Marketing and the Social Media Manager to develop and execute channel strategy.
- Stay up-to-date on emerging platforms, technologies, and industry best practices.
Reports Directly To: Director of Brand Marketing
Works Directly With: Social Media Manager, other members of the Brand Marketing Team
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
- 1-3 years of professional experience in a relevant field, e.g. marketing, communications, PR, etc.
- At least one year of experience (internships included) managing social media and creating social content on behalf of a brand
- Strong familiarity with platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, and LinkedIn
- A healthy obsession with social media, pop culture, and current events.
- Familiarity with social listening and monitoring tools (e.g. Sprout, Hootsuite, Social Studio, etc.) and design tools (e.g. Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.), a plus
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to ensure accuracy in all deliverables.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to communicate clearly and passionately, both in writing and verbally. Positive attitude and solution-oriented approach to work is a must.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position is either remote or based in Portland, Oregon or Washington D.C. and requires very limited travel.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.