As a member of Metabiota’s engineering team, you will be a key contributor as an architect responsible for the efficient development of leading-edge computational products enabling a novel epidemic and pandemic risk-focused data ecosystem for a variety of critically important use cases. You will be architecting and building an ecosystem and a pipeline of highly scalable and distributed infrastructure and services ranging from data ingestion, scalable big data platform, analytics engines, data warehousing, and external facing services. As a hands-on engineer, you will be an individual contributor in implementing the technical architecture and to enhance a pipeline of highly scalable and distributed infrastructure components and services. You will have the opportunity to work hand in hand with a truly global cross-functional team including San Francisco-based product leaders, computational scientists, mathematicians, epidemiologists, virologists, and ecologists.
Who We Are and What We Do:
Metabiota is a mission-driven company and a pioneer in comprehensive risk analytics that makes the world more resilient to epidemics. Built on a strong foundation of epidemiology and international field science, Metabiota delivers actionable, data-driven insights that help countries, governments and corporations manage and mitigate infectious diseases. With a strategic global presence and sustained partnerships, Metabiota’s agile approach is helping the world track and transfer the risk associated with epidemic threats. The company’s international footprint includes offices in San Francisco, Cameroon, and Democratic Republic of the Congo. To learn more, visit www.metabiota.com.
Who You Are:
You are an exceptional engineer that craves solving real-world health and business problems to create a positive global impact. You are a structured, self-directed, and creative person who likes to excel in high-performance distributed computing. You love big data, building big data platforms, finding creative solutions to challenging projects, and are comfortable in both hands-on and management roles. You have an impressive educational background and some experience of sticking with tough problems at leading companies, startups, or established organizations. You demonstrate a go-getter attitude to drive solutions to problems. You are able to foster teamwork, promote team collaboration and communication, and gauge project progress. Your team expects you to be personable, use respectable manners, maintain stable composure, demonstrate a positive attitude, be able to work under pressure, and have multi-tasking capabilities.
Specific Skills and Responsibilities Include:
- A Computer Science/Master of Science/engineering degree from a top university, experience working with epidemiologic or health data is a plus;
- Solid understanding and experience in disciplined OO programming development on JVM based languages (Java, Scala) in multi-threaded Linux/Unix environment;
- Solid understanding of agile development using Scrum and belief in quality development using continuous integration
- Solid experience with microservice architecture, as well as an understanding of containers technology, such as Docker/K8s
- Proven knowledge of successful design and architecture in data platforms using Hadoop ecosystem (HBase, Hive, Spark);
- Experience in analytical and quantitative data processing with one or more big-data infrastructures such as Hadoop, HBase, Hive, Spark, and RDBMS systems such as MySql;
- Experience architecting and migrating big-data infrastructure from HBase to RDBMS systems;
- Passion for building platform systems that use data to drive significant business impact
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to manage and grow a geographically diverse team
- Experience building RESTful APIs is a plus.
- Familiarity in building, configuring, and monitoring systems using highly scalable distributed computing solutions, such as in AWS
- Passion for keeping abreast with fast-evolving open source communities by attending meetups, conferences and contributing when feasible
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience
- Target bonus
- Early stage options
- Employer paid medical, dental, vision
- 401K match, and the chance to join a company that’s changing the world as we know it!
Metabiota is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status.