- Assist with the development and presentation of scheduled programs, outdoor skills clinics, and special events on, and off, site.
- Staff the exhibit research lab and/or discovery station up to twice a month offering a hands-on activity and interacting with visitors.
- Help with the research, preparation, and staffing of a mix naturalist day camp programs for 7-11 year olds, 12-16 year olds, and multi-generational.
- Propose, initiate, and complete an approved project (project scope will be decided between the intern naturalist and the nature center manager based upon the needs of the facility and the skills and interests of the intern).
- Assist with feeding and care of education animals (reptiles, amphibians, and fish).
- Work the front desk as needed providing quality customer service and answering questions about the general area and natural history.
- Help with general maintenance of nature center exhibits, program supplies and grounds (maintain the loaner backpacks, work with CEA to maintain fishing poles, work in native plant gardens, fill bird feeders, straighten children’s area, etc.).
- Work at least two days with other Resource Management Professionals to gain a better understanding of how the resource management disciplines fit together in managing Missouri’s natural resources. Choose from Fisheries, Forestry, Private Lands, Wildlife, or Protection.
- Provide a presentation summary of experiences and independent project to an appropriate audience before the last day of employment.
Students are eligible for the program when they meet the following criteria:
- Undergraduate student at an accredited university/college in good standing. Students who will be graduating before the internship begins are not eligible.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher on 4.0 scale is desirable.
- Preference will be given to students who have completed at least 45 credit hours.
SPECIAL ABLILTY REQUIREMENTS:
Develop and sustain cooperative working relationships.
Work outside in adverse weather conditions and perform tasks requiring strenuous physical activity.
Demonstrate regular and predictable attendance.
Obtain a current, valid driver license by the date of employment.
Work Saturdays, Sundays and holidays when needed.