MIT Technology Review’s Product Design team is central to the strategy, design, and development of all of Technology Review’s digital products. The team’s goal is to enable a great experience for users that engage with TR’s journalism in all its forms and help the organization meet defined goals for revenue and engagement.
This internship will provide you with the opportunity to work on the full product design lifecycle by supporting the creation of new page designs for the MIT Technology Review website. You will work on projects that will give you hands-on experience with the full visual design process, agile project workflows, synthesizing feedback and business needs into designs, and working with product owners and developers to deliver reader-facing designs. This opportunity will allow you to sharpen your design, communication, and problem-solving skills in a business environment.
We’ve been making concerted efforts to make our organization more diverse and we’re always trying to do better. We think our digital products benefit from the widest possible perspective, and so we especially welcome applications from women, people of color, and other groups historically excluded in the world of tech.
If this sounds exciting but you’re not sure you fit the bill, reach out anyways: send us your resume as well as a link to your portfolio. At worst we’ll say no, and we promise to say it with kindness.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
• Collaborate with product managers, engineers, and cross-functional stakeholders to understand requirements, and provide creative, thoughtful solutions
• Communicate the user experience at various stages of the design process with wireframes, flow diagrams, storyboards, mockups, and/or high-fidelity prototypes.
• Support implementation of a new home page and the 10 Breakthrough Technologies and 35 Innovators under 35 lists
• Assist with the maintenance of day-to-day web related design such as maintaining and upgrading specialty pages, finessing temporary landing pages for testing, and propagating updates related to major content releases
• Support design updates of pages across the site such as newsletters, topic pages, about us, FAQ page, and more
• Design templates for fallback visuals across the site to ensure brand consistency
• Support development phase by conducting design quality assurance with an eye for pixel-level details
• Create mockups for various user needs, edge cases and responsive sizes
Overall, this role will, to some degree, flex to the personal strengths and interests of the hire — with an eye toward expanding and honing those skills.
Supervision Received: Product Designer, Product Development
Supervision Exercised: None
Qualifications and Skills:
• Strong interface design skills with dedication to details and deadlines
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Ability to solve problems creatively and deliver quality results
• Ability to take ownership and actively ask for help when needed
• Familiarity or interest in learning design and prototyping tools such as Figma and Flinto as well as landing page builders like Unbounce
• An actively enrolled student at an accredited college, university, or certificate program in an applicable field
How to apply: If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and a link to your portfolio.
Please note: This is a full-time, paid ($20 per hour), internship with a targeted start-date around January 2022 to run for six (6) months.