Movers & Shakers NYC is an ed-tech non profit rooted in activism. We started out hosting teach-ins in public spaces throughout New York City to push for racist statues to fall and untold history to rise. Our CEO, Glenn engaged in performance pieces such as running the New York City Marathon in Chains and a 30 Day Fast for Black History month to push for the country to re-think its treatment of black people.
We started Movers and Shakers to address the long term systematic racism issues facing Americans today. We educational content exclusively featuring the under told stories of the oppressed in addition to addressing a bevvy of issues facing the the educational system with a focus on improved engagement via gamified curriculum and and innovative approaches to pedagogy.
Join us if you are passionate about amplifying the voices of the oppressed, have a passion for empowering young people, and want to be part of a team that is determined to discover creative solutions to age old problems.
As a UX research intern you will be joined by a diverse class of interns from schools all over the country, reporting directly to the Chief Creative Officer and Founder, Idris Brewster, and be advised by expert guest speakers and thought leaders in the field each week to offer mentorship and guidance. Your goals include conducting research on different topics to help improve and sell our product, you will be asked to conduct interviews to identify pain points in several areas, synthesize information and give strategy recommendations based on your findings.
Candidates will need to demonstrate (essential capabilities, stack ranked by importance):
- Self Starter: You are an independent think who is highly motivated and able to troubleshoot and strategize as to how best to achieve goals on your own in an unstructured environment;
- Mission and values alignment: Demonstrated through a history of actively contributing to the causes or communities that you care about in meaningful ways;
- Executional excellence: You have the organizational skills, meticulous attention to detail, high sense of responsibility, and generalist skill set to take on a wide range of high priority tasks in support of the CEO and executive team. You are dependable, and always deliver quality work.
- Exceptional research skills: You’re a Google expert and are comfortable with cold calling for market research.
- Executive level communication skills: Your written (including decks) and verbal communication is compelling and precise. You can quickly take complex concepts and communicate them briefly, simply and persuasively. You’ve demonstrated the ability to communicate at executive or board levels of large companies or organizations.
- Structured problem solving: Strategic thinking, in particular the ability to break complex problems down into component parts. The ability to lead on and enjoy both strategic and tactical work is key; *** Analytical capability**: You’re confident creating, scrutinizing and improving everything from revenue models to pivot tables. You’ve repeatedly done the work to make sure complex business reporting data is accurate, but you’re also able to cut out the noise by identifying the 2 or 3 most salient data points to inform decision making.
Additional capabilities we’ll consider (bonus capabilities, demonstrating strong skills/experience in at least 1-2 of these will help the best candidates stand out):
- Emotional intelligence and ability to establish strong and trusting relationships with colleagues;
- Designing or identifying new goals, priorities, team changes or projects based off of research findings;
- Facilitation skills; you design thoughtful meeting processes/agendas and are skilled at chairing or facilitating meetings or sessions that make progress on high stakes discussions with senior stakeholders.
Applications are encouraged early as they will be assessed on a rolling basis.
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team, and we want to hear from you. Remember, no one comes with the entire complement of skills, and no one is the perfect candidate, so don’t let a lack of experience/ skill in one specific area deter you from applying.