Internal Audit 2021 Internship Program
Virtual for Summer 2021
June 1- August 7
The Internal Audit Department at National Life Group (NLG) is looking for interns for full time this Summer. This position will have the opportunity to interact with various levels of internal auditors and management throughout NLG. This interaction will provide a foundational understanding of the Audit process and the applicable testing to achieve specific objectives. Further, this position will be required to complete various testing requirements, which will educate them regarding work paper completion (i.e. appropriately detailed, supported, and reviewed) and overall audit methodology. They will also be given projects throughout the duration of the internship to work on independently and in teams with oversight from Senior Internal Auditors.
Key Competencies: Analytical skills, organizational skills, attention to detail, team orientation, time management, communication skills, integrity, confidentiality, high degree of professionalism.
Candidates for this internship will need to demonstrate a curious mindset for learning and an ability to be vocal in a virtual environment. This will include proactive communication with team members as well as virtual training and onboarding.
Specific tasks to be performed during the internship include:
- Perform control testwork as part of the Model Audit Rule Program (MAR). Interns will execute test plans of key controls through inquiry, observation, examination, and/or re-performance under the supervision of the Internal Audit team. This will include obtaining the appropriate control documentation and documenting test results according to Internal Audit testing standards.
- Perform Direct Assistance work for NLG’s financial statement auditors (PwC). The interns will be responsible for executing assigned audit programs. This will include obtaining the data from the applicable administrative and financial system and performing procedures to ensure the completeness and accuracy of the data outlined in the audit program. This work will be performed under the supervision of the Internal Audit team and direct involvement with PwC.
- Assist the Internal Audit Department in conducting discretionary and mandatory audits. The participants will work with members of the Internal Audit staff to plan, conduct, and report on audits and management request as applicable. This will include creating workpapers and working with various business areas on observations noted during the audit.
- Assist the Internal Audit Department in performing risk and control analysis on various business processes. The interns will be responsible for setting up meetings with departments, updating the documentation, helping to analyze risk and risk assessments, mapping risks to the appropriate controls, and reviewing controls to ensure that they are meeting applicable standards.
- Assist the Internal Audit Department in working with the business areas to obtain updates on open audit observations. This will include performing testing to ensure that the observation has been successfully closed.
- Utilize data analytics tools (Alteryx) to perform monitoring over specific accounts and activities. Document the process, any outliers, and investigate results of those outliers. Present findings to the Internal Audit Department and business areas.