For more than 170 years, National Life Group (“NLG”) has aimed to keep our promises to provide families stability in good times and in bad. Throughout that history, we have provided peace of mind to those families as they plan their futures.
As a mission-driven business, the cause of what we do is as important as the products we sell, and our cause is a very simple one, directed at the people who live and work on America’s Main Streets: to “Do Good” in our communities and with the individual families we serve.
Sentinel Investments, the investment management company of NLG, manages approximately $30 billion in AUM. Our purpose is simple – to allow NLG to keep its promises. How we do this – an obsessive focus on delivering investment results. We drive results through a rigorous and collaborative investment process and we hold ourselves to the highest of standards, both as investors and teammates. While our process is based on rigor, our culture is based on our guiding principles: Meritocracy, Uncompromising Transparency, Intellectual Honesty, Performance Driven Learning, and Relentless Pursuit of Excellence. These principles guide the way we conduct ourselves, how we work together, and how we approach every investment decision. We fulfill our responsibilities while acting with integrity and humility, while focusing on what is right for the firm, and ultimately, our policyholders. Our culture has been deliberately built to nurture inclusiveness and curiosity, and provide opportunities to learn and grow, both as people and investors. The flat and collaborative nature of our team promotes an atmosphere where the best ideas are continually expressed and rewarded. Our pursuit of excellence is unwavering.
Position Title Trading Analytics Intern
Reports to Head of Trading
Supporting the Structured Products and Trading teams, the Trading Analytics Intern will aid development of analytical systems and reporting for analysts and traders designed to aid the investment decision and transaction process. The high impact role will offer exposure to key areas of the National Life fixed income investment process.
- Create and improve analytical tools that aid analysts and traders in understanding and visualizing complex data sets
- Integrate insights into practical workflows utilizing Excel, Tableau / Microsoft BI, and email-based reporting
- Learn trading and analytical workflows and apply technical skills to improve and automate processes
- Improve ad-hoc desk analytics and assist in developing repeatable processes for research analysts and traders
Pivotal Experience & Expertise
- Candidate for undergraduate or advanced degree in Financial Engineering, Data Science, Computer Science or a related field of study
- Experience with either a workplace or academic setting in quantitative financial analysis and/or development roles
- Experience using Excel, Microsoft BI, Tableau, and other data visualization tools, and the ability to demonstrate capabilities as part of the interview process
- Skilled in SQL and Python; knowledge of additional programming languages considered helpful
- Experience with code development best practices
- Intense intellectual curiosity with the desire to seek new challenges while continuously learning
- Solid interpersonal skills and ability to connect to form meaningful working partnerships
- Inclusive team player with a collaborative and cooperative approach
- Strong work ethic and proactive professional disposition
- Experience driving projects to completion
- Results-driven mindset
- Thrives in a collaborative environment where the best ideas that drive the best results are rewarded
- Has the integrity to communicate all relevant facts and information in evaluating decisions and the humility to admit what you do not know
- Love of learning – comfortable in an organization that seeks to continually learn from its mistakes and successes to drive better investment decisions
- Comfortable with ambiguity and the mentality required to address and ultimately own those ambiguous situations – finding answers and solutions
- Proficient in giving and receiving constructive feedback in both real time and structured environments
- Demonstrates transparent, direct, and open communication across the organization
- Promotes collaboration and has a “firm first” attitude – does what is right for National Life Group
- Commitment to our mission and values
Sentinel Investments® is the unifying brand name for Sentinel Financial Services Company (Member FINRA), Sentinel Asset Management, Inc., and Sentinel Administrative Services, Inc. National Life Group is a trade name of National Life Insurance Company (Montpelier VT) and its affiliates. All companies referenced are affiliated.
This role is not open to applicants residing in Colorado effective 1/1/2021