A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide and that includes our interns.
From day one, interns at NPR are given real-world, hands-on responsibilities. Working alongside top professionals in the field, interns do meaningful work across a variety of departments at NPR.
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR’s Summer 2021 Internship Program will be fully remote.
Program Duration: June 1 – August 20, 2021
Weekend Edition is looking for our next intern – is it you?
The Weekend Edition team is a tight-knit and collaborative bunch of smart and creative producers, editors and hosts and right now we’re looking for a dynamic, resourceful and creative intern to spend three months learning radio journalism.
NPR’s Weekend Edition is a weekly newsmagazine that airs Saturday and Sunday mornings and covers the news of the day, puts the news of the week into context and anticipates the news yet to be made.
Come join us, and have a first-row seat for history in the making.
- Pitching ideas for host interviews on news and feature topics
- Booking guests for our programs, including doing phone pre-interviews
- Writing host copy and interview questions
- Producing live and pre-recorded host interviews
WHO CAN APPLY?
- LOCATION: Must be planning to work from the United States and authorized to work in the United States during the Summer 2021 internship dates.
- EDUCATION: Must be a current student in an accredited degree program or a recent graduate of no more than 12 months from the month of the start of the internship.
- SCHEDULE: Weekend Edition hours are 9am-6pm ET Wednesday-Friday and 6am-2pm ET Saturday and Sunday
- Excellent research skills and an eye for a new angle/perspective on the week’s major news stories
- The ability to find the right expert or first-person voice to illustrate a complicated news topic
- Reporting experience
- Audio editing experience
- Broadcast writing experience
Applications close on Friday, February 26th at 5pm ET.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Don’t forget to follow our Interns on Instagram for some behind the scenes action! Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.