Research Assistant – Center for Biobehavioral Health (CBH)
Responsible for implementing clinical research projects on family adjustment to children’s life-threatening conditions, such as cancer. Duties include recruitment, data collection in the hospital, schools, and family homes; data management; supervision of student volunteers; data analysis; and presentation of results. Specific tasks may include: helping with IRB protocols, helping to execute study visits, interviews, data management and analyses, and dissemination of research results. This position will involve close collaboration with the investigators as well as other research staff at NCH and medical staff at NCH/Ohio State University. Several opportunities exist for mentorship and professional development for applicants who may be interested in gaining experience that will prepare them to apply for advanced graduate programs in medicine or psychology. A two-year commitment is required. Some evening and weekend hours may be required to accommodate data collection efforts.
Schedule: Full time, Benefits Eligible
Abigail Wexner Research Institute
700 Children’s Drive
Columbus, OH 43205
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 13,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud
- Performs clinical research independently or semi-independently in accordance with protocols approved by the principal investigator. Such experiments involve human subjects any may require evening and/or weekend duties.
- Ensures accuracy of laboratory analytical procedures as required by specific research projects.
- Collects and controls data and patient information; and maintains accurate daily logs of experiments including methods, results, and conclusions.
- Interprets the results of data analyses with input from the principal investigator.
- Assists the principal investigator in the preparation of scientific publications and presentations.
- Make recommendations about refinement and/or replacement of laboratory procedures. Implements such refinements or new procedures with input from the principal investigator.
- Orders supplies needed to conduct research; maintains inventory of equipment and supplies; and assures that research equipment is in good working order.
- Instructs other students and laboratory workers and students in standard methods, practices, and procedures.
- Maintains a clean working area and adheres to proper safety techniques and procedures.
- Performs miscellaneous related duties.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
- A minimum of two years of clinical research experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to engage participants effectively over the telephone and in person.
- Ability to actively participate as a team player, track participant progress, maintain relationships with families, think creatively, work independently, and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with statistical and data management software (e.g., SPSS, Excel, RedCap).
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to handle sensitive topics and confidential data appropriately.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to produce clear and succinct reports based on study progress.
- Current driver’s license and insurance with access to a reliable car for use in data collection.
Percent of time spent on:
50% Study coordination, recruitment, conducting data collection
25% Data management, analysis, and disseminating results with PI
10% Miscellaneous paperwork associated with research
5% Ordering supplies
10% Instructing other lab personnel
Minimum physical requirements: 1
100% Kneeling / reaching
100% Finger dexterity
100% Talking / hearing / seeing
10% Lifting / carrying weight 0-20 pounds for 1-5 minutes
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.