Naval Nuclear Laboratory is looking for a Controls/Automation engineer to join our examination equipment research and design team. Work with a talented team of mechanical, electrical, and computer engineers to develop innovative electromechanical examination equipment for use at the Naval Reactors Facility (NRF). This position will give you the opportunity to apply and further develop your control system design and problem solving skills in developing innovative automated exam systems for use in remote environments. The electromechanical equipment performs remote handling, assembly, disassembly, and examination operations underwater and hot cell environments at NRF.
Design control systems for examination equipment from the ground up to measure and analyze physical properties. Design, specify, and select control system and remote motion components, design control system cabinets, and write motion control, data acquisition and data processing programs. Develop test plans and perform testing of automation systems to verify compliance with functional requirements. Assemble all required documentation and user manuals created during development process to transfer essential knowledge to end users.
Required Skills *
- BS degree in engineering or Bachelor’s degree in a science related field from an accredited college or university required.
- BS degree in engineering or Bachelor’s degree in a science related field from an accredited college or university and a minimum of two years of relevant experience; or
- MS degree in engineering or Master’s degree in a science related field from an accredited college or university and a minimum of one year of relevant experience; or
- Currently or previously EOOW qualified in the Nuclear Operations Program; or
- SRE Qualification
Candidates should have a strong background and working knowledge of:
- Object oriented programming languages (such as C#, Visual Basic, or .NET) and
- Motion control system development, installation, and support
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products
- Demonstrated written communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with National Instruments test systems and LabVIEW software
- Hands-on troubleshooting experience
- Experience with graphical user interface design
- Database design