The structural Materials Performance unit is responsible for the rigorous testing and analysis that underpins design guidance used to evaluate reactor core mechanical performance both during and post-service. We are seeking and entry level materials engineer to join our team to plan and sponsor non-irradiated materials tests, irradiation of specimens in the Advanced Test Reactor, and post-irradiated materials tests. Specific duties include:
- Design experiments to address a broad range of structural materials R&D needs,
- Follow ongoing experiments, including test of irradiated specimens and post-irradiation examinations, reviewing data and updating test specifications as needed,
- Analyze data, write detailed technical reports, and contribute to the models which describe material performance, and
- Leverage historical test data and independent analysis to provide technical guidance for design, fleet-suppport, and post-service decisions.
Required Skills *
- BS degree in Materials Science / Engineering from an accredited college or university
- Demonstrate the ability to clearly communicate complex ideas both verbally and in written format.
- Coursework or experience in materials testing
- Mechanical Properties (i.e. yield strength, ultimate strength, failure strain…etc.)
- Fracture Properties (KIC, JIC, CTOD,…etc.)
- Materials characterization using metallography or microanalytical techniques (e.g. SEM)
- Metallurgy of zirconium, titanium, and/or hafnium alloys
- Irradiation effects on material properties