Division of Administration
Chief Information Office, Management Information Systems Team – Troy
Student Assistant for Management Information Systems
Reference No. CIO/MIS_TRO_PUGS_SPR_2021
Paid, Part-Time Placement for Graduate and Undergraduate Students
The Management Information Systems (MIS) Analytics Team within the Chief Information Office (CIO) in the New York State Office of the Attorney General (OAG) has a paid, part-time position available for qualified graduate and undergraduate students. MIS supports the implementation of major OAG Information Technology bureau (IT) initiatives involving research, business analysis, and analytics. The team is charged with the enablement of Business Intelligence (BI) technologies and providing customer centric solutions using these technologies. The OAG IT bureau manages multiple information systems including case management, charities registration and annual reporting, civil recoveries and debt collection, electronic payments, and electronic discovery systems that support the core mission of the office.
Student assistants will support the work of the CIO through:
· Tracking and monitoring implementations to help increase technology solution effectiveness;
· Conducting MIS research and analysis to produce comparative technology analysis of similar state agencies and entities;
· Disseminating findings through executive presentations and reports;
· Working collaboratively with the IT bureau and OAG bureaus;
· Performing data cleansing, analysis, and summarizing large datasets;
· Rapidly learning new technologies and applying those skills to assist with proof of concept development; and
· Performing other qualitative and quantitative research tasks as required.
The CIO is seeking applicants with the following qualifications/skills:
· Demonstrated interest in information technology;
· Prior experience in applying quantitative methods in research and/or analytics;
· Excellent presentation and verbal and written communication skills;
· Highly organized, self-directed, and curious;
· Experience using the Microsoft Office Suite: Word and Excel (including formulas and pivot tables);
· Knowledge of coding and querying languages (Python, SQL, R, Java, Net) preferred, data visualization software a plus (Tableau, Power BI), Azure; and
· An interest in machine learning and automation.
· Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the OAG is hosting an exclusively remote spring program.
- To be eligible for a paid placement, applicants must be full-time graduate or undergraduate students in good academic standing as defined by their schools.
- Students hired for the spring may begin their placements on January 20, 2021 or later.
- Applicants must be available to work 15 hours per week during regular business hours for 10-12 weeks. Please be advised that reappointment for additional semesters/terms is possible but neither automatic nor guaranteed.
- The selected candidate will be hired as a student assistant and paid hourly at either the undergraduate student rate of $13.86 or the graduate student rate of $15.28.
- Applications will be accepted online and this position will be filled on a rolling basis.
- Applicants must be available by video conference for interviews.
- U.S. citizenship and NYS residency are not required, but applicants must be eligible to be employed in the U.S.
- Applicants are encouraged to learn more about the OAG prior to submitting their applications by visiting the Divisions and Bureaus and Media sections of the OAG website.