Division of Economic Justice
Consumer Frauds & Protection Bureau – New York City
Reference No. CPB_PUGS_2021
Paid, Part-Time Placement for Undergraduate Students
The Consumer Frauds and Protection Bureau is seeking undergraduate students to serve as student mediators for pay in its lower Manhattan office. The Bureau prosecutes businesses and individuals engaged in fraudulent, misleading, deceptive or illegal trade practices.
In addition to litigating, the Bureau mediates thousands of complaints each year from individual consumers. A large percentage of these complaints are resolved satisfactorily through an informal mediation process. The student is an integral part of this mediation process.
Students are given the title of “Mediators” and act as consumer advocates in negotiating consumer complaints with merchants. Each mediator is assigned a number of complaint files covering a broad range of consumer issues including retail sales, mail order transactions, credit transactions, telemarketing, warranty problems, home repair and automobiles.
The student mediator is exposed to the Office’s procedures and philosophy and deals directly with consumers and merchants to resolve complaints. Student mediators are taught interviewing techniques and will have the opportunity to develop analytical skills as they learn to focus on the underlying issues to reach a resolution of each complaint. While each complaint is reviewed by a member of our professional staff, the student mediator typically exercises significant discretion and independent judgment. Professional staff and attorneys are always available to answer questions. The position gives students an unusual degree of responsibility and requires them to display excellent judgment.
· Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, current student programs are operating remotely until the OAG determines that it is able to provide an in-person experience.
- Applications from students entering their first year of college/university will not be considered.
- Applicants must be available to work 15 hours per week during regular business hours for the full academic year. Please be advised that reappointment for additional semesters/terms is possible but neither automatic nor guaranteed.
- The selected candidate will be hired as a student assistant and paid hourly at the undergraduate rate which is $15.00.
- Applicants must be available by video conference for interviews.
- U.S. citizenship and NYS residency are not required, but applicants must be eligible to be employed in the U.S.
- To be eligible, applicants must be full-time undergraduate students in good academic standing as defined by their schools.
- Applicants are encouraged to learn more about the OAG prior to submitting their applications by visiting the Divisions and Bureaus and Media sections of the OAG website.
HOW TO APPLY
The following section provides detailed information about the application process and application requirements. Please review all of the instructions prior to preparing and submitting your application materials online. To apply, please click the following link: CPB_PUGS_2021
The following documents are required for each application that is submitted: (Click on the document name to learn more)
-You may address to Legal Recruitment.
-Indicate your availability and preferred work schedule.
¨ List of three (3) references.
-Only submit professional (i.e., supervisor or professor) references.
-Indicate your professional relationship to each reference.
-Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
– An unofficial transcript is acceptable.
– Select a piece that demonstrates your ability to analyze, synthesize and organize a cohesive document that efficiently and effectively conveys information to your target audience.
Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your candidacy.
Please allow at least three (3) business weeks for your application to be processed and reviewed by the hiring bureau/regional office. After three (3) weeks, to request a status update, please click here.
If you have questions about a position with the OAG, the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment via email at email@example.com.