Note : Applications will not be considered without a thoughtful and relevant cover letter.
Why Next Street?
Want to work at the intersection of impact and business? Looking for a team with big ideas and bold ambitions? Interested in accelerating your career, and getting further faster by working at a scalable small business?
You have found your place – Next Street is a mission-driven, for-profit firm creating a better future for small business. We have audacious goals and we are looking for team members who can dream big with us. Next Street was founded in 2005 with the belief that small businesses are the drivers of economic and community development and the engines of inclusive growth. This philosophy is at the core of everything that we do.
Next Street mobilizes capital, customers, and capabilities to small businesses and entrepreneurs that have been systemically held back. We work with foundations, government, corporations, and CDFIs.
We serve as trusted advisors to some of the country’s most dynamic organizations. We equip our clients with strategies and tools to advance small businesses and deliver a more inclusive US economy.
We are an anti-racist and anti-bias institution. Learn more about our commitment here: https://nextstreet.com/racial-equity/.
We believe Next Street is a special place to work:
- We are a group of critical thinkers and problem solvers. We work hard to get our clients the right answer, because we are successful when our clients create more impact.
- We are motivated by mission. We keep small business at the heart of what we do, and agitate for equity and inclusion, day in and day out.
- We respect and challenge each other. Our teammates come from the best professional services and social sector organizations. We learn from each other constantly.
- We push ourselves to innovate. We must think creatively and expansively to solve tomorrow’s economic and community development challenges.
- We take pride in our work, strive for excellence and work with integrity. This is more than just a job to us.
We believe in a better future for small business. Join Us.
Why this role?
The Human Resources & Operations Coordinator will play a critical role driving the firm’s recruiting, people-related operations and administration, supporting firmwide operations, and working hand-in-hand supporting the firm’s executive team. The ideal candidate will execute their day-to-day operational responsibilities seamlessly and proactively collaborate on strategic projects as needed or as it aligns with interests. We are seeking a candidate that is open to learning new things and can problem solve independently across a broad portfolio. This is a unique opportunity for the right candidate who is organized, efficient, and motivated to mold and grow this position.
People + Culture (30%)
- Manage recruitment cycle including job requisitions, job postings (market internally, on job boards and on social media), liaise with recruitment contacts or recruiting agencies, review resumes, coordinate interviews (including travel if necessary), facilitate reference checks and communicate consistently between hiring managers and candidates
- Leverage and utilize recruiting tools, such as LinkedIn, used to source candidates
- Coordinate employee onboarding and offboarding including all communication and activities involved with stakeholders, ensuring a positive onboarding experience
- Support design and execution of staff trainings
- Support design and execution of culture initiatives
HR Administration + Benefits (30%)
- Assist the Finance and Operations Manager in processing semi-monthly payroll, track employee changes, troubleshoot any payroll related issues
- Administer Justworks human resources platform; organize and maintain employee records
- Collaborate with Finance and Administration team on annual benefit renewals with benefits broker and be the primary contact for benefit vendors
- Plan and manage open enrollment including communications to employees about any changes or deadlines and update any changes or deduction in the HRIS and benefit portals
- Coordinate with broker/vendor and implement any new benefits; administer and manage employee leaves of absences and cobra
- Maintain, document or update the firm’s handbook, processes and procedures
Executive Support (20%)
- Work closely with Next Street’s Managing Partners to manage their calendars and travel – communicate with internal and external high level stakeholders
- Partner with Finance & Operations Manager to manage and process management expenses
- Coordinate with outsourced IT provider to ensure effective delivery of their service, thereby enabling consistent firmwide access and utilization of the hardware and software required to execute work
- Manage critical office operations across offices, including procurement and vendor management (e.g. Internet; Telecommunications; Supplies)
- Assist with planning quarterly events for staff and annual firmwide meeting
- Associates or a Bachelor’s degree
- 1-2 years of prior experience in an administrative role
- Experience working with Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong professional written and oral communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent time management and organizational skills – in particular, the ability to prioritize tasks, work efficiently and effectively manage multiple priorities
- Ability to both follow instructions closely and work independently without direction
- Demonstrated maturity and discretion when handling sensitive information
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including a pleasant positive demeanor and a proactive approach
What we offer:
We want our team members to bring their best, true selves to work every day. We will offer you:
- Competitive salary and benefits – We know you work hard, and we want to reward you for it. We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits package (including 401k and paid parental leave) for mission-driven work.
- Generous paid time off – We want to make sure that you have time to recharge and to pursue your many passions. We give our team members 20 days of paid time off per year plus standard federal holidays.
- Mentorship and Sponsorship – You will have frequent access to our diverse and dynamic senior team, given that we are a small firm. They will be committed to your growth and will invest in mentoring you.
- Career development – We take growth seriously. We want to make sure that you have a plan to get where you want to go long term, whether at Next Street or business or graduate school. We give each team member an annual professional development stipend and provide ample coaching.
- Low travel model – We do not like to get on a plane every week and we do not want you to either. We travel when we need to every few weeks.
- Flexibility – It is important to us that you can work when and where you work best. We are flexible with employees to accommodate individual schedules and work preferences.
- Social events and office snacks – We admire and value our teammates. We plan social events throughout the year, so that you have to opportunity to connect outside of the office. We also make sure that you have the fuel you need to perform your best every day.
Next Street is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.