NYC’s young adult programs are innovative AmeriCorps service programs designed to provide hands-on training and experience to those interested in pursuing employment with conservation corps, land and water resource management agencies, and other outdoor careers. Our program integrates team-based work projects, education, and on-site vocational training into an experience that prioritizes personal development and conservation work skills.
The position is challenging.
· Participants work on physically demanding conservation projects in all kinds of weather and terrain.
· Our program is a highly structured immersive experience, in an environment that does not allow for much independent time away from the crew, time in “civilization,” or access to electrical power.
· We focus intentionally on the concept of community within our crews, which means we focus on being present with one another and do not use cell phones until after 8PM each evening (we intentionally “unplug”).
· Participants engage in many group activities each day to help the crew function, including meal prep, water treatment, and tool maintenance, followed by a family-style dinner and formal educational sessions.
· Participants are actively mentored and empowered by their leader and expected to take on increasing leadership roles within the crew, including acting as a “leader of the day/week” by the end of the program.
Through these challenging and rewarding experiences, our programs consistently help members become resilient, disciplined, empathetic and strong. A high value is placed upon interpersonal dynamics and the development of robust workplace skillsets.
Participants are provided a comprehensive training during their term of service. Training will not exceed 20% of total member service hours. Depending on your crew’s projects, training MAY cover the following topics:
· USDA Chainsaw/Crosscut operation and maintenance
· NYC Leadership Philosophy
· Basic Trail maintenance and Construction
· Crew Management and Motivation
· Conservation Education
· Risk Management and Safety Procedures
· Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
· Driver Training
· Tool Use and Maintenance
· First Aid
· Anaphylaxis training